[CARD NEWS: Opinion] Can a short skirt trigger sexual assault?
Some people claim a short skirt triggers sexual assault. Take a look if their argument is reasonable.
Can a short skirt trigger sexual assault?
1) “The woman should be well-behaved. Why did she wear revealing clothes?”
“These crimes are the victims’ fault.”
Such outdated logic can still be found.
2) “Sexual assault can be reduced if women are careful.”
(Source: National research on sexual assault conducted by the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family in 2016)
In research recently conducted by the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family announced on Feb. 27, many of the results were so outrageous they were difficult to believe.
3) “The outbreak of sexual assault is because of revealing clothes.”
The results were far from what you might expect, arousing doubts on whether the survey was actually conducted in 2016.
3) “Female rape victims share some of the responsibility.”
“If a woman was raped on a ride given by a stranger, the woman shares responsibility as well.”
4) The male respondents were usually far more patriarchal than the female respondents, according to the results of 22 questions on sexual assault.
5) As much as 8.7 percent of male respondents thought that some women enjoy being raped.
6) Even more shockingly, some female respondents also expressed such an outdated opinion.
7) The results indicate that the patriarchal way of thinking is widely spread throughout our society.
8) How did you cope with sexual assault? “Fled or moved seat.” “Avoided.”
The victims could do nothing but passively try to avoid the situation by moving seats, even though they were sexually assaulted.
9) The statistics do not mirror the minds of the victims. However, couldn’t the result be interpreted as saying that they had to endure the situation alone as they were afraid of being branded as victims of sexual assault?
10) Only 1.9 percent of the victims asked for help from the police.
11) The following are the reasons for not reporting sexual assault:
“The damage was not that serious.”
“Reporting seemed useless.”
12) The results imply that sexual assault on women is rampant in our daily lives.
13) [The percentage of sexual assault cases]
Sexual assault including physical touching
Obscene messages via email or messaging
In our society, 55 percent of men think that the number of sexual assault cases will be go down if women are more careful.
14) In our society, 54.4 percent of men think that if women wear revealing clothes it triggers sexual assault.
15) This is the real face of our society, where 49.3 percent of women are afraid of being sexually harassed on public transport.
16) Is our society normal?
Directed by Lee Jeong-bong
Constructed by Kim Min-pyo
Designed by Seo Ye-ri
Translated by Son Min-young
Edited by Jim Bulley