중앙데일리

Four more savings banks are suspended by FSC

[NEWS IN FOCUS] 4곳 또 영업정지…저축은행 오늘이 고비다

Feb 21,2011
Depositors at a Busan II Savings Bank branch in Busan are told about the bank’s suspension at the weekend. by Song Bong-geun
A 64-year-old housewife, surnamed Jung, deposited more than 50 million won ($45,055) at two savings banks in Seoul last year. Her sister also placed 30 million won in a savings bank at Jung’s recommendation.

Many local investors have turned to savings banks in the hopes of increasing their financial returns to counter the low rates on accounts offered by commercial banks.

“Savings banks were offering 8 percent interest, which is more than double the rate at commercial banks,” said Jung. “At the time it looked promising. But now I’m trying to figure out whether I should withdraw, even if I have to pay an interest penalty.”

Jung and many like her are worried that the savings-bank sector is set for turmoil after the Financial Services Commission announced over the weekend that it has suspended the operations of four more savings banks due to a liquidity crunch.

The four banks are Bohae Mutual Savings & Finance Co., which was placed on a watch list last week, and three subsidiaries of Busan Savings Bank, including Jungang Busan Savings Bank, Busan II Savings Bank and Jeonju Savings Bank.

The FSC said these banks had suffered massive withdrawals of deposits after the operations of Busan Savings Bank, Korea’s biggest savings-bank group, and its affiliate Daejeon Mutual Savings Bank were suspended for six months last week.

The savings bank industry has run into trouble because of growing construction loan defaults.

Analysts are now watching whether bank runs will spread to other savings banks when they open today.

There are now seven savings banks whose operations have been temporarily suspended, while another four are on a FSC watch list.

The FSC earlier said it did not expect further suspensions during the first half of this year.

“There have been deposit withdrawals at 94 savings banks, whose capital adequacy ratio exceeds 5 percent,” said an FSC official. “However, the impact has been limited.”

The FSC has expressed confidence that the savings-bank sector will stabilize once weak banks are weeded out.

The Korea Deposit Insurance Corp. is trying to ease customer fears by setting up a special task force.

Savings banks, with their high interest rates on deposits, have enjoyed recent growth in a low-interest environment resulting from monetary easing and sluggish returns from property investments.

At the end of 2008, about 3.6 million people had 60.9 trillion won deposited in savings banks, according to the Korea Federation of Savings Banks. The number of depositors grew to 4.3 million people with total deposits of 76.8 trillion won at the end of 2010.

Kim Seok-dong, the new FSC chairman, has taken on a more aggressive approach in sorting out the troubled savings bank sector.

The FSC is planning to announce a reform bill on savings banks that would require stricter financial standards to improve their soundness,

Currently, the capital adequacy ratio for savings banks should be more than 8 percent while the bad debt ratio has to be under 8 percent. When the regulation was adopted in May 2006, only eight of the country’s 105 savings banks met the requirement.

As of June 2010, 56 saving banks have met this threshold. Market analysts expect the government to increase the capital adequacy ratio to 10 percent. The FSC is also planning to buy as much as 3.5 trillion won in deteriorating loans made to builders and developers, while the government and big commercial lenders may offer emergency funds.


By Lee Ho-jeong [ojlee82@joongang.co.kr]


Related Korean Article[중앙일보]
4곳 또 영업정지…저축은행 오늘이 고비다

저축은행 위기가 최대 고비를 맞고 있다. 부실이 심한 곳에 몰려든 대규모 예금 인출 사태 때문이다. 17일 두 곳에 이어 19일 네 곳이 추가로 영업정지를 당했다. 금융위원회는 19일 임시회의를 열고 예금 인출 사태로 유동성 위기를 겪고 있는 부산2·중앙부산·전주·보해 등 4개 저축은행에 대해 6개월 영업정지 조치를 내렸다. 이들 은행은 어음·대출의 만기연장 등을 제외한 모든 영업을 할 수 없다.

 이들 중 부산2·중앙부산·전주 등 3개 은행은 17일 영업정지를 당한 부산·대전 저축은행과 같은 부산저축은행 계열이다. 예금자들이 불안해하면서 17~18일 이틀 동안 모두 4200억원에 달하는 예금이 빠져나갔다. 자체적으로 보유한 유동성에 저축은행중앙회 예탁금, 긴급지원자금까지 동원했으나 수천 명씩 몰려든 고객 앞에선 역부족이었다. 이로써 부산저축은행 계열사 5개가 모두 영업정지를 당했다. 보해저축은행도 17일 국제결제은행(BIS) 자기자본비율이 5% 미만이라는 사실이 공개된 뒤 예금 인출이 잇따랐다.

 이들 은행 예금자는 예금자보호법에 따라 원리금 기준으로 1인당 5000만원까지의 예금은 전액 보호된다. 예금보험공사는 예금자의 불편을 최소화하기 위해 다음 달 4일부터 1인당 1500만원 한도로 가지급금을 내줄 예정이다.

 당국은 저축은행이 문을 여는 21일 고객들이 불안해하지 않도록 총력을 기울이고 있다. 금융위 고위 관계자는 이날 “예금 인출이 부산 지역을 중심으로 유동성이 부족한 몇 개 은행에 집중됐고 규모도 삼화저축은행 영업정지 때보다 훨씬 적다”며 “BIS 비율이 5%를 넘어선 94개 저축은행의 예금은 오히려 늘었다”고 설명했다. 금융위는 상반기 중 이들 가운데 영업정지를 당할 곳이 없다는 점을 재강조하며 “나머지 11곳 중 이미 영업정지된 7곳을 제외한 4곳도 크게 걱정하지 않는다”고 설명했다.


도민·우리·새누리·예쓰 등 4곳이 BIS 비율 5% 미만이지만 모두 사연(?)이 있다. 예쓰저축은행은 예금보험공사가 부실 저축은행을 인수해 설립한 가교 저축은행이어서 부실화나 영업정지 걱정이 아예 없다. 우리·새누리 저축은행은 BIS 비율로 부실 여부를 판단할 수 없는 곳들이다. 이들은 외환위기 때인 1998년 부실 저축은행을 인수할 때 공적자금 대신 예보의 장기대여금을 지원받았다. 한화그룹 계열인 새누리저축은행 관계자는 “지원금 성격의 장기대여금이 부채로 분류돼 BIS가 낮게 나오지만 이를 뺀 실제 BIS 비율은 19.28%에 이른다” 고 설명했다. 도민저축은행 역시 자산 규모가 3000억원으로 비교적 작은 데다 인출사태가 나타나지 않았고 다음 달 증자 등이 정상적으로 추진돼 문제가 없을 것이라는 게 금융위의 시각이다. 권혁세 금융위 부위원장은 “문제가 발생할 만한 곳들에 대한 조치가 일단락돼 시장이 빠르게 정상화 될 것”이라고 말했다.




[한글 원문 보기] [중앙SUNDAY 원문 보기]
dictionary dictionary | 프린트 메일로보내기 내블로그에 저장