중앙데일리

Mobile phone use in North up 50%

북한 휴대전화 급증…'개방' 신호탄?

Apr 13,2011
The number of mobile phone users in North Korea has increased to 450,000, up 50 percent from the figure released late last year by an Egyptian company operating in the reclusive nation, South Korean officials said yesterday.

In a speech to a group of businessmen in Seoul, Vice Unification Minister Um Jong-sik said the increase indicates more ordinary North Koreans, particularly the youth, are enjoying mobile communications within the boundaries of isolation set by the regime.

“This tells us that the range of people taking advantage of mobile communications is diversifying after being limited to only the elites,” Um said.

A ministry official who provided the data explained later by phone that Um was citing a Feb. 2 report by the Chosun Sinbo, a Tokyo-published newspaper with correspondents in the communist country. The official said he was not in a position to be identified in the media.

The paper, seen as aligned with Pyongyang, reported the figure as part of a story covering the late January meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong-il and Naguib Sawiris, chairman of Cairo-based Orascom Telecom Holding, which has provided service in a joint venture with the North since 2008, the official said.

The Chosun Sinbo report could not immediately be found and verified.

Orascom said in an earnings report in November that the number of subscribers in North Korea had more than quadrupled in a year, reaching 301,199 as of September.

The expansion in subscriptions illustrates the fast growth of a tech-savvy generation in the North, raising curiosity over its possible role should a social movement loom there.

North Korea observers, however, say in general there is little possibility in North Korea of a popular uprising sparked by a rapid spread of information technology.

North Korea, which has a population of 24 million, first launched mobile phone service in Pyongyang in 2002, but banned it after a deadly explosion in a northern train station in 2004, possibly out of concern that it could be used in a plot against the regime.

In 2008, the country reversed its policy and introduced a 3G mobile phone network in a joint venture with Orascom.


Yonhap

한글 관련 기사 [연합]
엄종식 통일차관 "北 휴대전화 가입자 45만명"
`수평적 소통확대 보여주는 것`

엄종식 통일부차관은 12일 "북한의 이동통신 서비스가 2008년 12월 이집트 오라스콤사와 합작으로 재개된 이래 가입자 수가 작년 말 현재 45만명에 이르고 있다"고 밝혔다.

엄 차관은 이날 서울 대한상공회의소에서 `북한 이동통신 현황과 투자기회 및 전략`을 주제로 `조선비즈`가 주최한 포럼에서 축사를 통해 북한의 이동통신 현황에 대해 "아직 초기단계이기는 하지만 기본적인 인프라가 구축된 것으로 보인다"며 이같이 말했다.

그는 "지난 3월 북한 스스로 전국적인 3세대 이동통신망을 형성했다고 발표했고 외신 등을 통해 평양의 젊은이와 시민이 휴대전화를 쓰는 모습도 어렵지 않게 접할 수 있다"며 "이는 권력 엘리트층에 한정했던 이동통신 이용자의 범위가 점차 다양해지고 있음을 말해준다"고 평가했다.

이는 북한 내 수평적 소통이 확대되고 있음을 보여주는 것이라고 엄 차관은 진단했다.

엄 차관은 그러나 "북한 통신시장 미래가 순탄치만은 않을 것이다. 북한은 여전히 폐쇄와 통제체제이며 당국은 외부와 정보유통을 체제위협 요인으로 간주하고 주민통제와 단속을 강화하고 있다"고 말했다.

그는 "컴퓨터 네트워크의 경우도 외부세계와 연결되는 인터넷에는 일반 주민의 접근이 철저히 통제되고 있다"고 전했다.

그는 "북한은 주민통제와 체제결속에 주력하면서 주민의 정보유통에 민감할 수밖에 없는 시점"이라며 "최근 확산하는 중동 민주화 물결을 보며 체제위협 요소에 대한 통제를 더욱 강화할 가능성도 있다"고 전망했다.



[한글 원문 보기]
dictionary dictionary | 프린트 메일로보내기 내블로그에 저장