중앙데일리

After meetings, U.S. sends aid to Pyongyang

북한에 당근 건네는 미국의 속내는?

Aug 20,2011
WASHINGTON - The United States announced Thursday it would provide $900,000 worth of emergency aid to flood-ravaged North Korea less than a month after the two sides resumed high-level dialogue.

“In response to humanitarian needs arising from recent flooding in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea [DPRK], the United States will provide emergency humanitarian assistance to DPRK,” the State Department said in a press release. “The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) will contribute up to $900,000 in emergency relief supplies to North Korea’s Kangwon and North and South Hwanghae provinces through U.S. NGOs [nongovernmental organizations].”

The department said its decision was unrelated to political or diplomatic circumstances.

“This emergency relief demonstrates our continuing concern for the well-being of the North Korean people,” the release said. “It has been the United States’ longstanding position that the provision of humanitarian assistance is separate from political and security concerns.”

In a press briefing later, department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the U.S. is working on details through the North Korean mission to the United Nations, which in diplomatic circles is called the New York channel.

“We are still talking through the New York channel to North Korea about needs,” she said.

“It would not include food. It includes things like plastic sheeting, tents, that kind of humanitarian, housing relief, that kind of thing. But I think we haven’t decided.”

Top North Korean and U.S. diplomats had two days of meetings in New York in late July to explore ways to revive the six-party talks on the denuclearization of North Korea. Many expect another meeting soon.

South Korean officials said they have consulted with the U.S. over flood aid to the North.

They also played down any political significance of the U.S. gesture.

“The U.S. provided flood-related aid last year,” a South Korean government official said, requesting anonymity. “To our understanding, this year’s aid is also a purely humanitarian move. There is no concrete move yet toward further dialogue [with North Korea] following the New York talks. Given the timing, however, the flood aid decision can send a good signal anyway.”

The U.S. provided $600,000 in emergency relief supplies to North Korea in September after reports of severe floods there.

The North’s media reported that heavy rains in June and July left dozens either dead, injured or missing, destroyed thousands of homes and inundated tracts of farmland.

Earlier this month, South Korea offered aid worth 5 billion won ($4.7 million) to North Korea.


Yonhap


한글 관련 기사 [연합뉴스]

대북 접촉면 넓히는 美…2라운드 대화 탄력받나

수해지원-테러보고서 '제외'-유해발굴 다양한 접촉 추진
北비핵화 사전조치 관건 부상..당분간 탐색전 지속 전망

미국이 북한과의 접촉을 다각화하면서 향후 북미 관계의 향방에 관심이 쏠리고 있다.

우선 미 국무부는 18일(현지시간) 성명을 통해 최근 수해를 입은 북한에 90만달러(한화 약 9억6천700만원) 상당의 긴급 지원을 결정했다고 밝혔다. 미 국제개발처(USAID)가 복수의 비정부기구(NGO)를 통해 구호물품을 북한 강원도와 황해도 지역에 전달하는 방식이다.

국무부 성명은 또 "이번 긴급 지원은 북한 주민의 안녕에 대한 우리의 지속적인 관심을 나타내는 것"이라며 "미국은 국제적 모니터링 기준에 부합하는 경우 북한 주민에 대한 인도적 긴급 지원을 지지한다"고 설명했다.

미국의 대북지원 발표는 지난달말 뉴욕에서 1년7개월만에 북ㆍ미 고위급 대화가 열려 그간 중단된 북핵 6자회담 재개 등을 협의한데 뒤이은 것이다.

국무부는 또 이날 발간한 연례 '테러보고서'에서 북한 관련 항목을 아예 제외했다.

북한은 지난 1987년 대한항공 폭파 사건 직후 테러지원국으로 지정됐다가 북미 관계가 진전됐던 지난 2008년 해제됐으나 이후에도 연례 테러보고서에서는 일본 적군파 잔류 등의 내용을 담은 평가가 포함됐었다.

이번에 발간된 보고서에는 북한 뿐 아니라 아시아에서 대만과 한국 등의 항목도 빠지긴했다. 하지만 테러보고서에 단골로 등장했던 북한 항목이 처음으로 빠지자 외교가의 관심이 자연스럽게 쏠렸다.

앞서 미 국방부도 지난 2일 북한내 미군 유해발굴 사업 재개를 위한 회담을 북한 측에 공식 제안한 것으로 밝혀졌다. 미 국방부는 유해발굴 사업 재개 가능성을 논의하는 데 관심이 있다는 서한을 북한 당국에 보냈으며, 현재 북한의 답신을 기다리고 있다고 공개했다.

특히 올 가을께 미군유해 발굴과 관련된 회담을 개최할 것을 북한 측에 제안했으며, 조만간 북한 측 답신이 오면 회담 장소와 일자를 정할 계획이라고 밝혔다.

유해발굴 문제는 그동안 북한이 적극적인 자세를 보여왔다는 점에서 조만간 북미간 회동은 성사될 것으로 전망된다.

미국은 1996년부터 10년 간 북한에서 33차례의 미군 유해발굴 작업을 통해 220여 구의 유해를 발굴했지만 2005년 북한 내 미군 유해발굴 인력의 안전이 보장되지 않는다는 이유로 발굴 작업을 중단한 바 있다.

현재 다양하게 가시화된 사안의 특징을 보면 인도주의적 현안임을 알 수 있다. 북한과 다양한 접촉을 추진하고 있지만 이른바 본질적 현안, 즉 2라운드 북미 고위급대화와는 분명히 다른 맥락이라는 것이다. 또 최근 외교가가 관심을 갖는 대북 식량지원과도 별개로 다루고 있음을 미국은 분명히하고 있다.

국무부는 수해지원 방침을 밝히면서 "대북 인도적 지원과 (북한 관련) 정치, 안보적 우려는 구분한다는 게 미국의 오랜 입장"이라고 강조했다.

테러보고서에서 북한의 항목이 제외된 것도 적극적으로 해석할 수 있는 여지도 있지만 그보다는 향후 상황 전개에 따라 '유동성'을 남겨두려는 취지로 해석할 수 있다는 분석도 있다.

미국은 현재 북미 고위급 대화나 식량지원 문제에 있어 북한에게 공을 넘겨둔 상태다. 미국은 물론 한국과 일본 등 국제사회가 요구하는 '비핵화 사전조치'에 있어 북한이 보다 전향적이고 내용있는 조치를 취해야 다음 단계로 넘어갈 수 있다는 것이다. 지난 9일 워싱턴을 찾은 천영우 청와대 외교안보수석도 이런 입장을 놓고 미국측과 공감대를 이끌어냈다.

식량지원 문제에 있어서도 미국은 최근 북한에서 발생한 수해상황과 관련해 국제적 기준에 부합하는 모니터링를 전제로 북한에 대한 긴급 인도적 지원을 지지한다는 입장을 지난 5일 국무부 대변인실 명의의 자료를 통해 밝혔다.

결국 미국은 우라늄농축프로그램(UEP) 중단을 포함해 이미 북한이 이행해야 한다고 강조한 몇가지 비핵화 조치가 선행되기 전에는 협상으로 비쳐질 수 있는 조치를 자제하며, 식량지원도 결국은 전체적인 국면과 연계하겠다는 뜻으로 읽힌다.

이는 아주 가까운 시기에 북미 관계의 흐름을 바꿀 이벤트가 가시화되기 보다는 당분간 신경전이 진행되면서 서로 유리한 협상위치를 차지하려는 외교전이 진행될 것임을 시사한다.

북핵 현안에 정통한 한 외교소식통은 19일 "비핵화 현안에 있어 뚜렷한 진전은 없지만 다른 문제를 통해 미국과 북한의 탐색전이 지속되고 있다고 보면 된다"면서 "북한이 지난달 뉴욕 북미 고위급회담을 통해 미국의 의중을 확인한만큼 조만간 어떤 조치를 취하느냐에 따라 북미 관계의 향방이 좌우될 것이며, 미국 국내의 상황도 영향을 미치게될 것"이라고 말했다.




[한글 원문 보기]
dictionary dictionary | 프린트 메일로보내기 내블로그에 저장