중앙데일리

Unfit for his job (KOR)

June 15,2019
Justice Minister Park Sang-ki had to share the results of an independent investigation probing injustice in the prosecution in a bizarre press briefing that was boycotted by reporters. The boycott was largely caused by the minister. He told reporters that he wouldn’t be taking any questions an hour before the briefing. The press corps told the minister that reporters would attend a briefing without asking questions. Yet the minister went ahead with the briefing.

His action drew a strong backlash from reporters for treating them as note takers. The briefing was about the findings of the investigation. As the probe raised questions during the process, reporters were bound to ask about them. But Minister Park denied them this, despite various controversies over the 18 month-long investigations by an investigating team and a special committee to dig up past mistakes committed by the prosecution regarding 17 past cases.

Out of the nine members of the committee, six were recruited from a progressive legal group Lawyers for Democratic Society. There had been concerns about one-sidedness, but the justice ministry stayed mum. While addressing politically sticky issues like sex scandals involving former Vice Justice Minister Kim Hak-eui, late actress Jang Ja-yeon and the 2009 clash in a Yongsan District, central Seoul redevelopment site, the investigation team came under fire for its questionable procedures.

The investigation into the raid at the Yongsan development site — where a fire during the clash killed six citizens and injured 24 — was most controversial. The case was included in the list of 17 cases for new scrutiny, even though it already received a final ruling from the Supreme Court. Nearly half of the prosecutors involved in the case are still active. They strongly protested reopening the case. Four in the special committee on past cases and one from a separate investigation team were former or current members of a law firm that took up the Yongsan case on behalf of the rioters on the scene. That’s the same as lawyers who defended victims in a trial investigating the state prosecution on their case.

Former and active prosecutors issued statements twice, claiming that the special committee violated the privacy act by going through the investigation files on the Yongsan case. But Minister Park, the committee and the investigation team did not respond to this accusation. The termination of their activities could stoke a legal battle. The minister is not fit for the job.
법무장관 직도 대변인더러 하라고 할건가

그제 검찰과거사위원회의 활동 종료에 대한 박상기 법무장관의 입장 발표 기자회견은 기자들의 보이콧으로 논란을 낳았다. 책임은 전적으로 박장관에게 있다. 그는 기자회견을 1시간여 앞두고 "질의응답은 하지 않을 것"이라고 일방적 통보를 했다. 장관이 나홀로 나와 텅빈 회견장에서 입장문을 읽은 뒤 퇴장하는 기가 막힌 상황이 연출됐다. 기자단이 사전에 '일방적 발표자료와 법무부 대변인이 대신하는 질의응답'은 거부한다는 입장을 명확히 전달했음에도 박 장관이 강행한 것은 오기가 아니라면 설명하기 어렵다. 장관으로서의 소통 능력과 상황 판단력이 있는지 의심스럽기까지 하다. 기자들을 '받아쓰기 기술자'라고 보는 반(反)민주적, 반(反)언론관을 그대로 보여준 것은 아닌가.

이날 회견의 주제는 검찰과거사위 활동이었고 그동안 적잖은 문제점이 제기됐다. 기자들이 곤란한 질문을 쏟아낼 것으로 예상됐다. 사실 검찰과거사위와 그 실무기구인 대검 진상조사단이 지난 1년6개월 17건의 과거사 사건을 조사하는 동안 박 장관의 리더십은 보이지 않았다. 애초 과거사위 발족 때 위원 9명 중 6명이 '민주사회를 위한 변호사모임(민변)' 출신으로 선임되면서 편파·편향 논란이 일었지만 일언반구가 없었다. 정치적으로 민감한 김학의 성접대, 고(故) 장자연 리스트, 용산 참사 사건 등에 대한 조사 과정에서도 조사 기한 연장 문제, 이전 수사팀의 강한 반발 등으로 내분과 외압 소동이 끊이지 않았다.

가장 논란과 후폭풍이 큰 건 용산 참사 사건 조사다. 과거사 조사 대상 17건 중 대법원 확정 판결까지 난 사건으로서는 유일하게 조사 대상에 포함됐다. 이 사건 수사를 담당했던 20여명의 검사들 중 절반은 현직이다. 반발 강도가 셀 수 밖에 없다. 특히 과거사위 위원 4명과 진상조사단 민간 위원 1명이 용산사건 재판을 맡았던 법무법인의 전·현직 멤버다. 철거민 농성자를 변론한 법무법인 소속 변호사가 국가를 대리해 같은 사건의 과거사 사건을 조사하는 형국이었다.

최근 과거사위가 최종 심의 결과를 발표하자 전·현직 검사들은 두 차례나 반박 입장문을 내고 "수사 기록을 열람하는 위원회의 설치 근거를 법령이 아닌 훈령에 둔 것과 조사단의 수사 기록 열람은 개인정보보호법 위반"이라고까지 주장했다. 그러나 과거사위·진상조사단은 물론 박 장관도 아무런 대응이나 반박을 못했다. 조사 활동이 끝나고 남은 건 치열한 법적 다툼이다. 사태가 이 지경에 이른 데는 장관 잘못도 크다. 그런데도 장관 자신이 해명해야 할 일들을 대변인에게 떠넘기고 책임은 회피하려는 행태를 계속하면 각료의 자격이 없다. 그러려면 장관직도 대변인에게 대신하라고 해야 마땅하다.


dictionary dictionary | 프린트 메일로보내기 내블로그에 저장