A map of the main 5-day markets across Korea
1. Seongnam Moranjang (4.9 jang) - This is the largest market in the nation and is known for the quality of its livestock.
2. Yeojujang (5.10 jang) - This is the largest market in eastern Gyeonggi and is located at the end of the Namhan River.
3. Yongin Baekamjang (1.6 jang) - This is a “sundae jang,” or blood sausage market.
4. Jeongseonjang (2.7 jang) - Here, the market is also a popular tourist attraction.
5. Donghae Bukpyeongjang (3.8 jang) - This is the largest five-day market in the Yeongdong area.
6. Pyeongchang Bongpyeongjang (2.7 jang) - Tens of thousands of people gather at this market in September when buckwheat flowers bloom.
7. Danyangjang (1.6 jang) - This market is located at a bend in the Namhan River.
8. Yeongdong Imsanjang (1.6 jang) - Though this is a relatively small market, it still has a traditional look and feel.
9. Geumsanjang (2.7 jang) - This is the largest ginseng market in Korea.
10. Gwangju Songjeongjang (3.8 jang) - This is the largest market in the Jeolla area.
11. Guryejang (3.8 jang) - This is the largest market in the Mount Jiri area. People come to buy and sell goods from as far as Hadong, South Gyeongsang.
12. Jangheung Saturday Market (open Saturdays) - This is a traditional market specializing in hanwoo, Korean beef.
13. Beolgyojang (4.9 jang) - This market sells fish from the sea near South Jeolla.
14. Yeongcheonjang (2.7 jang) - The only market in the nation with a dombaegi market. Dombaegi is shark meat ripened in salt.
15. Sangjujang (2.7 jang) - This is the largest market in the upper Nakdong River area.
16. Uiseongjang (2.7 jang) - This market is famous for its garlic and hanwoo.
17. Gupojang (3.8 jang) - This is the largest o-il-jang in Busan.
18. Osigejang (2.7 jang) - This is a good example of a market that has kept many of its traditional charms.
19. Hadanjang (2.7 jang) - This is a traditional market in the lower Nakdong River area.
20. Jejujang (2.7 jang) - This market is a well-known tourist site.
*Hana Tour offers market tour packages that includes one-day trips to each of the 20 markets for 14,000 won per person. For information, call 1577-1233 or visit www.hanatour.com.
For more information on o-il-jang around the country, contact the Market Management Support Center at (02) 751-0766 or visit www.sijang.or.kr or the National Traditional O-il-jang Association at (031) 756-8416 or visit www.koreajang.net.