We’ll bring sinking to UN: Clinton
In a joint press conference with Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan yesterday, Clinton said she applauded President Lee Myung-bak for his “firm, patient and deliberate” approach to the attack on March 26.
Clinton said the two nations will be “working together to chart a course of action” at the United Nations Security Council, which South Korea hopes will agree to levy punitive measures on North Korea.
“[South Korea’s] decision about how and when to move forward is one that we respect and will support,” Clinton said.
Clinton was making a half-day stop in Seoul, after trips to Japan and China. She met President Lee and Foreign Minister Yu to discuss where the two countries will go in post-Cheonan diplomacy.
“The international, independent investigation was objective, the evidence overwhelming, the conclusions inescapable,” Clinton said of the probe into the Cheonan sinking. “As President Lee said in his strong and dignified speech to the nation, we cannot turn a blind eye to belligerence and provocation.”
Clinton also said the United States was “reviewing additional options and authorities to hold North Korea and its leaders accountable.”
Clinton said she believed China understood the gravity of the case.
“We hope that China will take us up on our offer to really understand the details of what happened, and the objectivity of the investigation that led to the conclusions,” Clinton said.
She said negotiations with China over North Korea were going well, especially during her trip to Beijing earlier this week. On Monday, she told reporters in Beijing: “The Chinese are taking this very seriously, and recognize the importance of maintaining peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula.”
“This is a highly precarious situation that the North Koreans have caused in the region,” she said Monday.
By Yoo Jee-ho [firstname.lastname@example.org]
More in Politics
Opposition jumps on idea of Assembly probe of Choo
Blue House names new foreign policy secretary
Prosecutors protest suspension of Yoon by justice minister
DP wants parliamentary probe of prosecutor general
Justice minister suspends top prosecutor, accuses him of illegal surveillance, ethical violations