Cheonan censure hearingThe military plans to convene a disciplinary committee this month to censure officers over the sinking of a naval ship in a torpedo attack in March, an official said yesterday.
Last month, South Korea’s state audit agency, the Board of Audit and Inspection, asked the Defense Ministry to reprimand 25 senior military officers, accusing them of mishandling the March 26 sinking of the warship Cheonan, which left 46 sailors dead.
“We’re conducting an investigation to determine the accountability of those accused by the audit board,” a senior ministry official said.
The meeting is expected in late July. Two of the 25 officers accused in the inspection have already stepped down, including Lee Sang-eui, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
“Some of those subject to disciplinary measures could be punished under the military criminal law for negligence and false reporting,” a military source said. Yonhap