Royal rooms thrown open for viewing from Aug. 15
Gyeonghoeru Pavilion, national treasure no. 224, was built in 1412 as a venue for feasts for foreign envoys and for the king and court officials.
Geoncheong Palace was built in 1873 by King Gojong (1852-1919) and was used as the royal residence during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). Gojong’s wife, Queen Myeongseong (1851-1895), was killed by Japanese assassins.
The two sights will be open to the public until Oct. 31 and people interested in touring the areas need to make Internet reservations in advance. The tour runs three times a day at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Each session will accept 60 visitors.
Admission is free and only Korean language service is available.
Gyeonghoeru Pavilion will be closed from November to March, and reopen to the public in April.
By Kim Mi-ju [firstname.lastname@example.org]