Canadian who killed man taught in Seoul for 2 yearsA Korean-Canadian who killed a person in Canada worked in Korea for the two years as an English teacher for kids attending elementary schools, raising concern among parents.
The National Police Agency’s Foreign Affairs Bureau said Wednesday that the Canadian, surnamed Ye, was arrested and sent to the Seoul Public Prosecutors’ Office.
According to police, the 24-year-old Ye and three other Korean-Canadians raided a marijuana warehouse in Canada run by Vietnamese immigrants in May 2007 and stole 18 kilograms (39.6 pounds) of marijuana. The drugs had an estimated street value of $60,000. While Ye was stealing the drugs, he shot a Vietnamese man.
“The three were all arrested and got 10-year sentences,” police said. “But Ye is expected to get even more years because he killed someone.”
Ye fled to Korea eight days after the shooting and applied to become an English teacher for kids in Gangnam, eastern Seoul. He worked in four private institutes for two years and then hid out in the country. Police said the institutes did not have any suspicions about Ye, although he had no teacher’s license. A police official said, “We were shocked to hear that the murderer, with no teaching license, had been an English teacher.”
Korean police started to search for Ye after Interpol issued a “red notice” - an order to find a criminal and transfer him or her instantly back home - for Ye in December 2008. The Canadian government also asked the Korean government to transfer Ye to Canada in August 2009 and a court in Korea issued an arrest warrant. Ye noticed the police were following him and was able to elude them. Finally, Ye gave himself up to the police in the company of his attorney.
The Seoul High Court will decide whether to deport Ye to Canada.
By Kang In-sik, Kim Hee-jin [firstname.lastname@example.org]
More in Social Affairs
Seoul sues Sarang Jeil Church for W4 billion
'Traceless' infections are Korea's new coronavirus worry
K-pop band Seventeen to promote Seoul with cooking, style tips
Paju DMZ tours to resume, 11 months after closure due to swine fever outbreak