Libyans retreat from Korean construction site

Home > National > Social Affairs

print dictionary print

Libyans retreat from Korean construction site

Local residents have withdrawn from a Korean construction site in Libya days following their storming of the work site and its dorms apparently in protest of the government’s housing policy, the foreign ministry said yesterday.

About 200 local residents forced their way into the Korean construction site in Derna in eastern Libya at around midnight Thursday (local time) and then stormed into a nearby dormitory on Friday night. After the intrusion, about 70 Korean workers evacuated to a nearby Muslim school.

The name of the Korean company involved was not made public.

According to the Korean foreign ministry, the mob broke up at 7 p.m. on Saturday and left the site. The Koreans who fled the site returned to a building some 8 kilometers (4.9 miles) away from the work site.

The attackers set fire to part of the dorms and stole blankets and portable audio players but no one appears to have been hurt, the foreign ministry said.

Cars and other valuables including laptop computers and cameras were safe as the workers had moved them to a secure location, it added. The foreign ministry said that it will deal with the intrusion based on a similar incident at the same work site last month, which resulted in millions of dollars of property damage.

“The Libyan government has said it will make compensation for the last month’s incident,” said an official from the ministry. “We will start assessing the damage and ask the government to compensate in the same way.”

Related Korean Article[연합]
리비아 韓건설사 습격 현지주민 모두 철수

지난 17~18일 국내 건설사의 리비아 공사 현장과 한국인 근로자 숙소를 잇따라 습격한 현지 주민들이 모두 철수한 것으로 알려졌다.

20일 외교통상부에 따르면 리비아 주민들은 19일 오후 7시(현지시간)께 해산했으며, 긴급 대피했던 근로자들도 현재 임시숙소로 이동을 마친 상태다.

주민들은 근로자 숙소 3개 동에 불을 질렀으며, 규모가 큰 2개 동은 방이 한 칸씩 불탔고 작은 숙소 1개 동은 대부분 불에 탄 것으로 전해졌다.

그러나 숙소에 있던 한국인 직원들은 인근 이슬람 사원에 붙어 있는 학교로 대피해 인명 피해는 없었으며, 숙소 주변에 있던 차량 31대와 노트북.카메라 등의 귀중품도 미리 옮겨놓아 피해를 면했다.


다만 모포.MP3 플레이어 등 개인 물품은 대부분 도난당했으며, 주방용품은 심하게 훼손되거나 사라져 취사가 불가능한 상황이라는 전언이다.

이에 따라 해당 건설사는 공사 현장에서 약 8km 떨어진 곳에 있는 대형 예식장을 임대했으며, 한국인 근로자 70여 명을 포함한 현장 근로자 1천500여 명이 19일 오후 7시30분께부터 이곳으로 이동해 밤을 보낸 것으로 알려졌다.

한편 조대식 주리비아 대사는 19일 리비아 현지에 진출해있는 건설업체 대표와 직원, 교민 대표 등을 모아 추가 피해상황을 파악하고 비상시 연락망 구축 방안 등을 논의했다.

피해 보상과 관련해서는 지난달 발생한 한국 건설업체 공사장 무단 점거 사태와 같은 기준을 적용해 처리한다는 것이 외교부의 방침이다.

외교부 관계자는 "이번 습격과 관련해 아직 리비아 정부의 공식 입장 표명은 없었다"면서 "그러나 지난달 사건에 대해 리비아 정부가 보상 의사를 밝힌 만큼, 이번에도 정확한 피해가 집계되는 대로 해당 업체 및 리비아 정부와 협의해 같은 방식의 보상이 이뤄지도록 노력할 것"이라고 말했다.

리비아 현지 주민들은 지난 17일 새벽 국내 건설사의 리비아 데르나 주택 공사 현장에 난입했으며, 18일 자정께에는 현장으로부터 100m 가량 떨어진 한국인 근로자의 숙소에 들이닥쳐 근로자들이 긴급 대피하는 소동이 벌어졌다.

More in Social Affairs

Justice minister suspends top prosecutor, accuses him of illegal surveillance, ethical violations

No new airport

Barflies, dancing queens face dull nights with Level 2

Yoon's mother-in-law indicted on fraud charges

Ban's NCCA proposes no diesel vehicle sales by 2035

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now