Quake rescue team barred

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Quake rescue team barred

With some countries allowed to carry out efforts to rescue earthquake survivors in Christchurch, the New Zealand government’s decision to deny Korea’s request to send its own rescue team is being questioned.

Some question the fairness of the decision and say it might have ruined the chance, if small, for two missing Koreans or other nationals to be rescued alive.

The whereabouts of the two Koreans, a 24-year-old man surnamed Yu and his 21-year-old sister, remained unknown for a third day yesterday since the deadly 6.3-magnitude tremor hit the city on Tuesday.

The two are believed to be among scores of people, many of them foreign students, still trapped in the Canterbury TV building, which housed an English-language school.

The Korean government said on Thursday that New Zealand authorities, seeing little possibility of finding more survivors in the building, were shifting the rescue mission to a body recovery operation.

But according to Seoul’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Japanese and Australian media, rescue teams from Japan and Australia were still continuing missions to find survivors at the CTV building as of yesterday. Among the people believed to have been entombed in the building are more than 10 Japanese students.

A Korean rescue team might have been providing a helping hand at the site if they had been allowed, the ministry said.

Seoul on Wednesday wanted to send a 24-strong rescue team including rescue experts with high-tech equipment to set up an on-field operation in Christchurch on Thursday. The trip, however, was called off after New Zealand asked them not to come.

New Zealand’s Foreign Ministry, questioned by the Korea JoongAng Daily, said it received offers from many countries, but did not accept them after Tuesday evening, saying it had accepted “the offers already on the table.”

A Seoul Foreign Ministry official said New Zealand informed it of its decision to allow only six countries - Australia, Japan, Singapore, the U.S., the U.K. and Taiwan - to help with rescue efforts. But the official said a 10-strong Chinese mission was later added to the list, leaving Seoul perplexed. The Chinese team and other rescuers from the U.S. and U.K. arrived in Christchurch yesterday.

“The New Zealand authorities must have given a lot of thought to making it the most effective rescue operation,” the official said. “It might not be a first-come, first-served basis only, and they may have considered our rescue ability or other things. I don’t know, and I want a clear answer on why we couldn’t go when others could.”

The official said the rescue team is still ready to leave for New Zealand, if New Zealand allows it.

An Australian daily reported yesterday that Japan flexed its diplomatic muscle against New Zealand’s decision to move the search effort to other buildings and helped its team assume control of the rescue effort at the CTV building.


By Moon Gwang-lip [joe@joongang.co.kr]


Related Korean Article[중앙일보]

“희망을 찾아서…” 붕괴현장 밤샘 구조

[한국인 남매 매몰 추정 건물서 시신 47구…뉴질랜드 강진 사망 113명으로]

뉴질랜드 크라이스트처치 지진으로 한국인 남매와 일본인 유학생들이 매몰된 것으로 추정되는 캔터베리TV(CTV) 건물 붕괴 현장에서 25일(현지시간) 현재 47구의 시신을 발굴했다고 현지 언론이 전했다. 현지 경찰에 따르면 이날 하루 동안 23구의 시신을 추가 발굴해 지금까지 이곳에서 찾은 시신은 모두 47구로 늘었다.

현지 경찰 책임자인 데이브 클리프는 “현장의 기온이 낮아 매몰자들이 살아있을 가능성이 줄어들고 있다”며 “현재 생존자가 있다는 징후는 없다”고 말했다. 구조당국은 122명이 매몰된 것으로 추산하고 있는 만큼 여전히 70여 명은 발굴되지 않은 상태다.

발견된 시신들의 신원은 아직 확인되지 않은 것으로 알려졌다. CTV 건물엔 ‘킹스 에듀케이션’ 어학원이 있었고, 이곳에 다니던 한국인 유학생 유길환(24)·나온(21)씨 남매와 27명의 일본 유학생, 대만과 사우디아라비아 학생 등이 실종된 상태다.

한국 외교통상부는 유씨 남매가 CTV 건물 붕괴 현장에 있을 것으로 추정되지만, 뉴질랜드 당국이 이날까지 발표한 사망자나 부상자 명단에는 포함돼 있지 않다고 밝혔다. 전날 크라이스트처치에 도착한 유씨 남매의 아버지(56)는 현지 병원과 구조당국 등을 찾아다니며 자녀의 행방을 수소문하고 있다.

킹스 에듀케이션 어학원 홈페이지가 공개한 수강생 명단엔 유씨 남매 외에도 한국인일 가능성이 있는 ‘Li’ ‘Lee’ ‘Jin’이란 성을 가진 이들이 포함됐다. 외교부는 “어학원에 확인한 결과 현재까지 한인 실종자는 유씨 남매뿐”이라면서 “그러나 추가 실종자가 있을 가능성도 염두에 두고 수색작업을 벌이고 있다”고 밝혔다.

뉴질랜드 정부는 이날까지 확인된 사망자가 113명으로 늘었다고 발표했다. 존 카터 민방위 장관은 기자회견에서 “밤샘 구조작업을 통해 추가 실종자들을 발굴하고 있는 과정”이라며 “끝까지 희망을 잃지 않고 있다”고 말했다.

이번 지진의 실종자가 228명에 달해 사망자는 더 늘어날 전망이다. 카터 장관은 “23일 파인굴드빌딩에서 지진 발생 26시간 만에 구조된 앤 보드킨을 끝으로 생존자가 더 이상 나오지 않았다”고 말했다. 부상자는 2000여 명에 달하고 이 중 11명은 중태인 것으로 파악되고 있다.

뉴질랜드 당국은 이날까지 붕괴된 건물의 90%에 대해 생존자 수색을 마친 상태라고 말했다. 현장에는 500명의 뉴질랜드 구조팀 외에 호주 등 10개국 구조단이 함께 작업 중이고 1만5000여 명의 자원봉사자가 거리 청소 등을 하고 있다.

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
s
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now