Koreans escape from ‘a living hell’

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Koreans escape from ‘a living hell’

테스트

People trying to leave Libya fill the departure hall at Tripoli International Airport on Saturday. Hundreds of Koreans arrived at Incheon International Airport from Libya over the weekend. [REUTERS/YONHAP]


Koreans who have arrived home after fleeing from Libya have described the situation in the country as a “living hell,” with their offices being looted and dead bodies lying on the streets.

A group of 238 Koreans arrived on Saturday night aboard a chartered flight provided by the Korean government, following another 198 who landed on Friday. Kim Seung-hoon, 45, who operated an electronics store in Libya, said his shop was ransacked last week by Libyans wielding steel pipes. Kim said he had lived in that country for more than 20 years.

One engineer who worked for a construction group said Libyans “who looked nice in the day changed at night” as they tried to steal construction material and began shooting guns.

According to the Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency (Kotra), the process of getting on the plane was a grueling experience because the Koreans were forced to wait outside Tripoli’s airport along with thousands of other people in chilly weather for roughly three hours.

Koreans who made it back to Seoul said those gathering at the airport in Tripoli were frightened and wanted to leave the country as soon as possible. They told of Libyan soldiers and police confiscating cameras and cellphone memory chips to prevent the outside world from learning about the chaos in the country.

The Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said yesterday, that as of last night, 509 of the 1,400 Koreans living in Libya are still in the country.

Another chartered plane from Egypt Air carrying 60 Koreans from the central Libyan city of Sirte arrived in Cairo yesterday. They were employees from Doosan Heavy Industries and Construction and other companies.

A Turkish warship is carrying 31 Koreans from Benghazi, in eastern Libya, and is expected to arrive at Port Marmara in southern Turkey today. The Choi Young, a Korean destroyer on an antipiracy patrol near Somalia, is expected to arrive in Benghazi on March 3 to pick up stranded Koreans in the eastern Libyan port city.

Due to the large number of Koreans still remaining in Libya, the Foreign Ministry said it would not shut its embassy in Tripoli like the U.S., France and the U.K. have done. The Foreign Ministry estimates that about 85 percent are still in Tripoli and west-central Libya, and 15 percent eastern part of the country, including Benghazi, which is controlled by antigovernment forces. Many of the Koreans are employed by Korean construction companies, which have major projects in the country.

According to Yonhap News Agency yesterday afternoon, Daewoo Engineering and Construction, which employs the most Koreans in Libya with 297, planned to hold a meeting yesterday to discuss bringing home most of those workers. Yonhap also said Hyundai Engineering and Construction has pulled 19 of its 170 workers from Libya and plans to take further steps to bring the rest home.


By Christine Kim [christine.kim@joongang.co.kr]

Related Korean Article[중앙일보]

리비아 정부군 총 들이 대고 강탈 … 속옷까지 뒤져”
귀국한 근로자·교민들이 전하는 ‘생지옥 리비아’

ANC 인사팀장 이두희(30)씨는 26일 민주화 시위 중 유혈 참극이 벌어진 리비아 트리폴리에서 극적으로 탈출해 한국 땅을 밟았다. 대한항공 특별 전세기 KE9928편을 타고서다.

한국인 건설 근로자와 교민 235명과 외국인 3명을 태운 전세기는 이날 오전 5시20분 트리폴리 공항을 이륙해 오후 8시35분쯤 인천공항에 착륙했다. 이씨는 “트리폴리 공항 안팎에 리비아를 탈출하려는 수만 명이 뒤엉켜 있었다. 한마디로 아수라장, 아비규환이었다”고 말했다. 결국 한국 대사관이 리비아 경찰의 도움을 얻어 가까스로 공항 대합실 안에 들어갈 수 있었다. 이씨는 “아직 전쟁터나 다름없는 리비아에 남아 있을 동료들을 생각하면 마음이 미어진다”고 했다.

 이씨가 근무하는 ANC는 옛 동아건설과 리비아의 국영기업이 합쳐진 리비아 건설회사다. 이 회사에 다니는 한국인 264명 가운데 107명만이 리비아를 탈출한 것으로 집계되고 있다. 비행기 좌석에 한계가 있어 회사마다 연령 등에 따라 우선 탑승 순서를 정했다고 한다. 이씨가 떠난 날 전세기에 오르지 못한 직원 중 38명은 튀니지로, 98명은 이집트로 떠난다고 했다. 인사팀장인 이씨는 귀국 후 대사관 측과 연락하며 이들의 안전을 확인하고 있지만 이들이 무사히 국경을 넘었다는 소식은 아직 없다.

 이씨와 함께 인천공항에 도착한 다른 이들도 가족과 부둥켜안고 안도의 눈물을 흘렸지만 함께 탈출하지 못한 동료들 걱정을 떨치지 못했다. 대우건설 김확신 차장의 부인 진현욱씨는 “아직 (현지에) 남아 있는 분이 절반 가까이 된다고 들었다”며 미안해했다. 입국자들은 하나같이 “현재 리비아는 생지옥”이라고 전했다. 신한건설 김진곤(43) 차장은 “리비아 정부군이 총부리를 가슴팍에 대고 속옷까지 뒤졌다”고 말했다. 결국 휴대전화·노트북 등 리비아 정부군이 쓸 수 있는 모든 것을 빼앗겼다. 또 다른 건설현장에서 근무하다 귀국한 권용우(47)씨는 “정부군과 반정부군의 탱크가 도로 위를 다니고 기관총도 발포되고 있다”며 “현지 깡패들이 200~300명씩 떼지어 상점을 약탈하고 불을 지르는데 시신도 6구나 목격했다”고 말했다.


 외교통상부와 국토해양부에 따르면 사건 초기 리비아에 체류 중이던 한국인은 모두 1412명이었다. 이 중 대다수인 1351명이 24개 국내 건설사의 리비아 현장에서 근무하는 직원들이다. 이들 중 일부는 비행기표와 신변 보장을 요구하는 동남아 직원들 문제로 리비아를 떠나지 못하고 있는 것으로 전해졌다. 신한건설 권용우(47)씨는 “한국인들만 먼저 빠져 나가면 제3국 근로자들이 불안감을 느끼고 돌변할 수 있는 상황이어서 책임자 일부가 현장에 남았다. 책임자들은 현재 각목을 들고, 불을 피우며 순찰을 돌고 있는 것으로 알고 있다”고 전했다.

 귀국한 교민들도 수심 어린 표정을 감추지 못했다. 트리폴리에서 20년간 생활했다는 김승훈(45)씨는 “약탈과 방화가 이어지는 상황에 더 이상 버티고 있을 수가 없어 옷가지만 몇 개 챙겨 들고 트리폴리 공항으로 갔다”고 말했다. 그는 “아이 3명과 아내를 안전하게 귀국시켰으니 상황이 종료되면 꼭 (리비아로) 돌아가 처음부터 다시 시작하겠다”고 했다.

 앞서 1차로 트리폴리에 투입된 이집트 항공기(B-777)는 지난 25일 교민 198명을 태우고 오후 6시20분 카이로에 무사히 도착했다. 이번 특별 전세기 두 대를 통해 리비아를 떠난 우리 교민과 근로자는 모두 433명이다.

More in Politics

Supreme Court says ousted president was guilty

Supreme Court confirms former president Park’s guilt, jail term

Another run

Whistleblower alleges hanky panky over travel ban

Pardons will depend on the people, says Moon's aide

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now