Four from Northern fishing boat will defect

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Four from Northern fishing boat will defect

Four of the 31 North Koreans who drifted into South Korean waters in a wooden fishing boat on Feb. 5 have decided to defect and stay in South Korea, while the rest will be returned today, said the Ministry of Unification yesterday.

The South Korean Red Cross sent a statement to its counterpart in the North yesterday afternoon, stating that the 27 North Koreans and their boat would be returned via Panmunjom and the Yellow Sea over the Northern Limit Line. The statement did not specify the names or the exact number of men and women who will return to North Korea.

“We are returning these people on their own accord,” said the Unification Ministry yesterday. “We have never sent anyone [back to North Korea] against their free will.” The four defectors will be sent to a center for further questioning before they are taken to Hanawon to help them adjust to life in the South.

When asked why the return had taken so long, the ministry explained that the large size of the group, comprised of 20 women and 11 men, had prolonged the questioning process.

But this has been seen by experts as just one of the reasons for the delayed return of the North Korean drifters. Many analysts have said that the South Korean government kept the North Koreans for a month to show Pyongyang what had been done to South Koreans who have found themselves in North Korean territory in the past.

In the case of the crews of the Yeonan and Daeseung boats that had drifted into the North in 2009 and 2010, respectively, North Korea returned the men exactly 30 days after their capture, according to the Unification Ministry.

When the 27 are returned today across the demilitarized zone, it will have been exactly 30 days after they were discovered near Yeonpyeong Island, where a North Korean attack was staged last November.

According to a source familiar with the issue, those to be returned are not related to one another.

There have been previous cases in the past when groups of North Koreans found across the border were sent back minus one or two. One of four North Koreans found near Ulleung Island in 2009 defected while the rest returned. One of two who came down the Yellow Sea in 2005 also chose to stay in the South.


By Christine Kim [christine.kim@joongang.co.kr]


Related Korean Article[연합]
지난달 남하 北주민 31명중 4명 귀순

나머지 27명은 4일 판문점 통해 송환
"단순표류"..귀순자 남녀 각 2명으로 알려져

지난달 5일 연평도 인근 북방한계선(NLL)을 통해 넘어온 북한 주민 가운데 4명이 귀순 의사를 밝혔다.

통일부는 3일 "북한 주민 31명(남성 11명, 여성 20명) 가운데 4명이 남한에 남겠다는 의사를 밝혔다"고 전했다.

통일부는 이들 4명을 제외한 27명을 남하 27일 만인 4일 판문점을 통해 송환하고, 이들이 타고온 선박은 서해 북방한계선(NLL) 해상에서 북측에 인계할 예정이다.

대한적십자사는 이날 오후 판문점 적십자채널을 통해 북한 조선적십자회 앞으로 전통문을 보내 이 같은 내용의 송환 계획을 통보했다.


정부는 북측이 수용 의사를 밝혀오면 계획대로 송환절차에 들어갈 방침이지만 북측이 일부 송환에 대해 문제를 제기하면 송환이 지연될 수도 있다.

통일부는 "송환 및 귀순은 북한 주민의 자유의사에 따른 것"이라며 귀순 의사를 밝힌 4명의 성별과 인적사항, 북측 선박의 단순 표류 여부 등 조사결과에 대해서는 합동신문조로부터 통보받은 게 없다며 구체적 언급을 피했다.

그러나 정부 소식통에 따르면 귀순자 4명은 남성 2명, 여성 2명인 것으로 알려졌으며, 북한 주민의 남하 이유에 대해서도 단순 표류로 결론 낸 것으로 전해졌다.

정부 소식통은 "북한 주민은 조개잡이를 하다 짙은 해무에 표류했다고 결론난 것으로 안다"고 말했다.

북한 주민 31명은 설 연휴 기간인 지난달 5일 서해 NLL을 넘어왔으며, 그동안 군, 경찰, 국가정보원 등으로 구성된 합동신문조로부터 남하 경위와 귀순 여부 등에 대한 조사를 받아왔다.

북측은 지난달 8일 조선적십자회 명의로 대한적십자사 앞으로 전통문을 보내 주민과 선박의 송환을 요구했었다.

집단으로 남하한 북한 주민 가운데 일부만 귀순한 경우는 드문 만큼 이번 경우에 대한 북측의 반응이 주목된다.

통일부에 따르면 지난해 9월 울릉도를 통해 넘어온 4명 가운데 1명만 송환되고 나머지 3명은 귀순한 바 있다. 2005년 9월 연평도 해상을 통해 내려온 2명 가운데 1명은 귀순하고 1명만 송환됐다.

More in Politics

Moon appoints ally to keep pressure on Yoon

Injunction gives Yoon his job back, at least temporarily

Prosecutors implore Choo to reconsider suspension

Blue House aide draws fire for football game amid virus restrictions

Tensions rise between prosecution, Ministry of Justice ahead of court review

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now