Red Cross in South ready to talk about repatriation

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Red Cross in South ready to talk about repatriation

The South Korean Red Cross is willing to talk with its Northern counterpart about the four North Koreans who wish to defect to the South, it said yesterday. The four North Koreans were among 31 North Koreans found in a wooden boat drifting in waters south of the inter-Korean border, having lost their way while clamming.

The South Korean Red Cross said in its statement that it was willing to prove in a “just and objective” manner that the four had expressed their free will to defect to South Korea.

The message was sent to the North yesterday afternoon as a response to a letter from the North Korean Red Cross on Monday demanding that working talks be held between the two Red Cross parties and that all 31 be returned to the North.

The North’s statement on Monday evening had repeated a demand made earlier that day for the South Korean Red Cross to participate in working talks with the North along with the four who had decided to defect to the South.

North Korea had initially said that it would bring the families of the four North Koreans to the working talks and demanded the South bring the four North Korean defectors. The South Korean government refused to take the four defectors to the talks and said it would not acknowledge the family members of the four defectors if the North Korean Red Cross appeared with the relatives.

The South Korean government urged North Korea for a third day yesterday to receive the remaining 27 who wish to be repatriated. Once again, North Korea did not answer the request. North Korea had asked communications officers from both Koreas at the border to extend working hours yesterday, a request made for the third time since last Friday.

The Ministry of Unification is adamant that the government did not coerce the four North Koreans to decide to stay in South Korea.

North Korea has been utilizing its media to demand the return of all 31 North Koreans, threatening “heavy consequences” through the Pyongyang Broadcasting System if the demand is not met. North Korea’s propaganda Web site, Uriminjokkiri, called South Korea “inhumane” for keeping the North Koreans for over a month. The Web site also accused the South of “confining” the four North Koreans.


By Christine Kim [christine.kim@joongang.co.kr]


Related Korean Article[연합]

北, 적십자접촉 제안…“전원송환” 되풀이

“귀순의사 확인 위해 9일 4명 데리고 나와라”

南 “27명 우선송환 수용하라”


북한이 7일 오전 주민 송환 문제를 협의하기 위한 남북적십자 실무접촉을 제의해왔다고 통일부가 밝혔다.

북측은 그러나 이날도 귀순의사를 밝힌 4명을 포함한 31명 전원 송환을 요구하며 기존 주장을 되풀이해 남북 간 기싸움은 당분간 지속될 전망이다.

북측 조선적십자회는 이날 오전 9시30분께 대한적십자사(한적) 앞으로 전통문을 보내 "북한 주민의 전원 송환을 해결하기 위해 9일 오전 10시 판문점 중립국감독위원회에서 적십자 실무접촉을 갖자"고 제의했다.

북측은 "박용일 적십자회 중앙위원을 비롯한 3명이 남측에 귀순의사를 밝힌 4명의 가족과 함께 나올 것"이라며 남측에 대해서도 (귀순 의사를 밝힌) 당사자 4명을 데리고 나오라고 요구했다.


이에 대해 한적은 이날 정오께 전화통지문을 보내 "귀순의사를 밝힌 4명의 자유의사를 확인하는 문제를 협의할 수 있으며, 이를 위해 남북 적십자 실무접촉을 9일 오전 10시 판문점 평화의 집에서 갖자"고 수정 제의했다.

한적은 또 귀순 의사를 밝힌 4명을 제외한 27명을 7일 오후 4시 판문점을 통해 송환할 예정임을 밝히고, 이에 필요한 조치를 취해달라고 요구했다.

북측의 적십자 실무접촉 요구에 대해서는 장소를 바꿔 수정 제의하면서도, 북측이 사실상 전원송환 문제를 실무접촉에서 협의하자고 한 데 대해 27명을 이날 오후 먼저 올려 보내겠다는 입장을 밝힌 것이다.

그러나 북측이 송환절차에 응하지 않아 27명의 송환은 이날도 이뤄지지 못했다.

조선적십자회는 오후 6시께 별도의 전통문을 보내 "4명의 귀순에 대해 인정할 수 없으며 직접대면을 통해 (귀순의사가) 확인돼야 한다"며 전원송환 요구를 되풀이했다.

또 "오전에 주장한 바와 같이 9일 판문점 중립국감독위원회 회의실에서 적십자 실무접촉을 갖고, 여기서 쌍방 당사자들과 가족들이 대면 확인하자"고 주장했다.

이에 따라 27명의 조기송환 및 적십자 실무접촉이 지연되거나 무산될 가능성도 배제할 수 없는 상황이다.

정부는 적십자 실무접촉과 관련, 회담 장소를 판문점 평화의 집으로 해야 하며, 실무접촉에서 귀순자 4명의 북측 가족이 나오는 것을 인정할 수 없는 것은 물론 귀순자들도 실무접촉에 데려갈 수 없다는 입장이다.

실무접촉 전에 27명에 대한 송환이 이뤄지지 않고, 27명의 송환이 이뤄지더라도 수정제의 내용이 반영되지 않으면 실무접촉을 열기 어렵다는 것이 정부 측의 설명이다.

통일부 당국자는 "8일 판문점 연락관 접촉(통화) 등을 통해 27명의 우선 송환을 재차 촉구할 예정"이라며 송환 노력을 지속할 방침임을 밝혔다.

다만, 정부는 북측이 27명의 조기송환을 수용하고, 우리 측 수정제의에 따라 실무접촉이 열리면 유엔사 중립국감독위원회 관계자 등 제3자를 참석시켜 귀순자 4명이 자유의사에 따라 귀순을 결정했다는 내용을 확인해주는 방법을 검토하는 것으로 알려졌다.

정부는 앞서 4일 오전 판문점 연락관 통화를 통해 지난달 5일 연평도 인근 북방한계선(NLL)을 넘어온 북한 주민 31명 가운데 귀순 의사를 밝힌 4명을 제외한 27명을 송환하겠다고 통보했지만, 북측은 전원송환을 요구하며 송환절차에 응하지 않았다.

More in Politics

To the loyalists go the spoils in Moon administration

Moon reshuffles to concentrate on North, security

New foreign minister named ahead of Biden inauguration

Moon's adoption comments continue to upset

Gyeonggi goes ahead with ₩100,000 checks for all

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now