Japan quake toll rises, one Korean casualty

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Japan quake toll rises, one Korean casualty

테스트

A crying woman sits on a road in the devastated city of Natori, Miyagi Prefecture, Sunday following a massive earthquake and tsunami that are feared to have killed more than 10,000 people. [REUTERS/YONHAP]


As the death toll rises from the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, a Korean national and an ethnic Korean were found dead on a construction site in Ibaraki Prefecture, far south of the quake’s epicenter.

With tsunami waters slowly receding back into the Pacific, hundreds of bodies have been uncovered every day since the 9.0-magnitude earthquake struck Japan last Friday. Some 4,000 bodies were found yesterday and 9,500 remain missing in Miyagi Prefecture alone, according to Kyodo News.

Yet the Japanese government’s official death count as of yesterday afternoon was 1,800 with 1,400 missing and 1,900 injured.

There is still a significant chance of another large earthquake to strike in the days to come, which could produce another tsunami.

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan said Sunday evening that the earthquake was the “worst crisis in 65 years since World War II.”

The 40-year-old Korean national found dead in Ibaraki was surnamed Lee. Lee, who was helping construct a chimney at a thermal power plant, fell to his death when the earthquake hit, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. An ethnic Korean man surnamed Kim, 43, was also found dead at the construction site.

The deaths of the two men were confirmed after the public notified Japanese authorities, who then passed on the news to Korean diplomats.

The Korean Foreign Ministry said Lee’s body could not be recovered because the area could not be reached due to damage from the earthquake.

“We will contact his family members in Japan to prepare for funeral proceedings,” said a Foreign Ministry official.

Due to overloaded phone lines and crippled road systems, the Korean government is having difficulty getting in touch with the 12,000 Korean nationals residing in the quake-stricken region in northeastern Japan. Those who survived are also having difficulty contacting each other, according to survivors.

Fifty-two of the 135 Korean nationals who took refuge at the Korean Consulate in Sendai returned to Korea yesterday, and the remaining 83 will return as soon as flights are available, a Foreign Ministry official said.

Danger from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station in Fukushima Prefecture continues to be a major concern after a second explosion yesterday. Reactor No. 3 suffered a hydrogen explosion yesterday similar to Saturday’s explosion in reactor No. 1.

There may be a chance of another explosion as Tokyo Electric Power Co. (Tepco) said the cooling system in reactor No. 2 had shut down and officials were getting ready to pump in seawater to cool the core.

Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said that yesterday’s blast was unlikely to have caused a leak of radioactive material.

The Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety said there had been no changes in radioactivity levels on the Korean Peninsula after yesterday’s explosion.

Although aftershocks continue to shake northeastern Japan, rescue and relief efforts are in full swing, and Japan announced that 12,000 citizens were rescued as of yesterday.

Korea sent a team of 102 rescue workers early yesterday morning. The team was supposed to leave Seoul on Sunday night but couldn’t because of airport complications. They landed at Narita International Airport and arrived in Fukushima Prefecture in the afternoon. More are on standby to be sent to Japan.

The Japan Meteorological Agency rates Friday’s earthquake at 9.0 on the Richter scale, though the U.S. Geological Survey rates it at 8.9.


By Christine Kim [christine.kim@joongang.co.kr]

Related Korean Article[연합]
日 방사능 공포 속 구조총력…무더기 시신 발견

원전 3차 폭발 우려..지진.쓰나미 이어 2차재앙 오나
구조 본격화..2개 지역서 시신 2천구 확인
한국인 사망자 첫 발견

일본 대지진과 쓰나미(지진해일)로 인한 시신이 속속 발견되면서 수만명의 사망자가 발생할 것이란 우려가 현실로 나타나고 있다.

여진과 쓰나미 발생 우려가 계속되는 가운데 원자력 발전소 폭발사고가 잇따르면서 방사능 공포가 증폭되는 등 대지진에 이은 2~3차 재앙 우려도 커지고 있다.

대지진 발생 나흘째를 맞은 14일 일본 정부는 한국을 비롯한 국제사회의 지원 속에 실종자 수색과 매몰된 주민들에 대한 구조작업을 본격화하고 있지만 교통과 통신이 두절돼 어려움을 겪고 있다.

이번 사태로 인해 한국 교민 사망자도 처음으로 확인됐다.


◇ 구조 본격화..무더기 시신 발견 = 구조와 수색작업이 본격화하면서 수몰됐던 동부 연안 마을에서는 시신들이 무더기로 발견되고 있다.

교도통신은 이날 미야기(宮城)현의 해변 두 곳에서 시신 2천여구가 새로 발견됨에 따라 사망 및 실종자 수가 5천명을 넘어섰다고 보도했다.

오시카(牡鹿)반도 해안에서 시신 약 1천구가 발견된 데 이어 미야기(宮城)현 미나미산리쿠초(南三陸町)에서 시신 1천구가 발견됐다.

가장 큰 피해가 발생한 센다이(仙臺)에서는 구조대가 진흙에 뒤덮인 주택, 찌그러진 트럭, 얽힌 전선 사이에서 시신을 끌어내는 장면이 목격되고 생존자들은 폐허가 된 집을 찾아 망연자실한 모습으로 가재도구를 찾기도 했다.

그러나 북동부 해안의 일부 지역은 여전히 고립된 상태여서 구조대가 접근조차 못하고 있다.

일본 당국은 이번 지진의 사망자가 공식집계로 1천800여명이고 실종자는 1천400여명이며 부상자는 1천900여명이라고 밝혔다. NHK는 사망자가 1만명 이상으로 추정된다고 전했다.

미야기현 미나미산리쿠초를 비롯해 현재까지도 연락이 안 닿거나 행방불명인 사람이 총 3만7천여명에 달해 사망자는 최대 수만 명에 달할 것이라는 암울한 전망이 계속되고 있다.

일본 정부는 구조활동을 위해 현지에 자위대 병력 10만명과 특수구조팀 및 구조견 등을 투입하는 한편 12만개의 담요와 12만통의 식수, 11만ℓ의 휘발유와 함께 비상식량을 긴급 공수키로 했다.

기적같은 생환 소식도 이어지고 있다. 일본 정부는 지금까지 구조된 주민이 1만2천여명에 달한다고 밝혔다.

◇ 방사능 공포 = 대지진의 여파로 후쿠시마(福島) 원전에서 사흘만에 2번의 폭발사고가 발생, '방사능 공포'가 증폭되고 있다.

제1원전 1호기에서 12일 첫 폭발이 발생한 이후 14일 3호기에서도 더 큰 강도로 폭발이 일어난 데다 2호기의 냉각장치 가동마저 중단되는 등 '체르노빌 참사'와 같은 최악의 시나리오가 현실화되는 것 아니냐는 우려마저 나오고 있다.

두번째 폭발 사고는 이날 오전 11시1분께 후쿠시마 제1원전 3호기 원자로 건물에서 발생했다.

원전 관리자들은 3호기 노심 온도가 급상승, 부분 노심용해(meltdown) 현상이 일어나자 바닷물을 투입해 냉각을 유도했다.

후쿠시마 제1원전에 있는 2호기 원자로의 냉각장치도 가동이 중단돼 3차 폭발 가능성도 우려된다.

또 이바라키(茨城)현 소재 도카이(東海) 원자력발전소 제2호기의 냉각펌프 2대 중 한대의 작동도 중단돼 비교적 피해가 적었던 중남부 지역에서도 우려가 커지고 있다.

◇ 한국 교민 사망자 첫 확인 = 대지진 발생 나흘째인 이날 처음으로 한국인 사망자가 확인됐다.

외교통상부는 히로시마 소재 건설회사 한국인 직원인 이모(40)씨가 지난 11일 지진발생 당시 동북부 이바라키현 소재 화력발전소 건설현장에서 굴뚝 증설공사 작업 중 추락해 사망했다고 밝혔다.

외교부는 또 같은 현장에서 조선적(朝鮮籍) 재일동포 김모(43)씨가 사망한 것으로 확인됐다고 밝혔다.

◇ 산업계 피해도 확산 = 사상 최악의 대지진으로 일본 산업계가 조업중단 등 '쓰나미' 사태를 맞고 있다.

대지진 진앙지와 가까운 주요 공업지역인 도호쿠(東北)지역의 자동차, 정유, 전기전자 분야 주요 기업들이 잇따라 공장가동을 중단하고 있으며 전기공급은 물론 물류 시스템의 차질 등으로 휴업에 들어갈 공장은 갈수록 늘어나고 있다.

기업의 생산차질은 다른 지역으로 확산하고 있어 이번 산업계 피해는 1995년 고베대지진 당시를 능가할 것이라는 전망도 나오고 있다.

요미우리신문은 대지진 피해를 복구하는데 10조엔(135조원)이상이 필요할 것이라고 전망, 경제적 손실이 고베대지진의 9조6천억엔을 넘어설 것이라고 예상했다.

◇ 바빠진 국제사회 = 공황상태에 빠진 일본을 돕기 위한 국제사회의 손길도 빨라지고 있다.

한국과 러시아는 일본의 전력부족을 완화하기 위해 발전용 액화천연가스(LNG)를 긴급 지원하기로 했다.

구조팀을 파견한 국가와 국제기구의 수가 88개에 달하고 있으며 특히 최근 영유권 분쟁 등으로 불편한 관계에 있었던 중국과 러시아도 아낌없는 지원을 보내고 있다.

모두 15명으로 구성된 중국 구조팀은 지진 당일인 지난 11일 하네다(羽田) 공항을 통해 일본에 도착한 즉시 이와테(岩手)현으로 향해 생존자 구조에 나섰다. 일본이 중국 구조팀을 받아들인 것은 이번이 처음이다.

미국은 서태평양에서 활동하고 있는 원자력 추진 항공모함 로널드 레이건호를 지진 피해가 큰 미야기(宮城)현 센다이(仙臺) 앞바다에 파견해 구호를 돕고 있다.

국제구호단체들도 성금과 물자를 보내는 가운데 전쟁과 가난으로 신음하고 있는 국가들도 속속 일본을 돕기 위한 온정의 손길을 내밀고 있다.

More in Politics

Moon's buddies paid illegal salaries, says BAI

Big deal

Choo says neither she nor husband requested favors for son

Moon to take part in UN events remotely

Amicable meeting

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now