Gori-1 reactor gets cleared to restart

Home > National > Social Affairs

print dictionary print

Gori-1 reactor gets cleared to restart

Korea’s oldest nuclear reactor is safe to operate, as a detailed inspection showed no problems with the unit that went into emergency shutdown last month due to an electrical glitch, the government said yesterday.

The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology announced after a meeting of the Nuclear Safety Commission that it has approved the restart of the 33-year-old reactor northeast of the southeastern port city of Busan.

The 587-megawatt Gori-1 reactor has been kept offline since April 12 so engineers can determine the exact cause of the shutdown. The incident fueled public concerns about the safety of local atomic power units following the massive quake and tsunami that crippled Japan’s Fukushima nuclear power station in mid-March.

“The Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Co., which operates all atomic power plants in the country, has been informed of the commission’s decision with the reactor expected to start power generation in the near future,” Education, Science and Technology Minister Lee Ju-ho said.

In addition, all of the country’s 21 reactors have been found to be safe from natural disasters such as earthquakes and tsunamis, the minister said, adding the reactors - responsible for 30 percent of the country’s electrical power supply - are being run in accordance with stringent guidelines and equipped to cope with serious electrical power failures.

Despite no detection of problems, the country will spend 1 trillion won ($922 million) in the next five years to significantly update safety features of its commercial nuclear reactors, Lee said.

“The money will be spent to make local reactors safe from the kind of damage that hit the Fukushima plant,” he said. “Upgrades will be carried out on 50 safety features and facilities.”

Related to the upgrades, the state-run Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety (KINS) said that all local nuclear power units will be made to withstand flooding by the kind of tsunami that destroyed the power facility in Fukushima, with mobile power generators to be acquired so they can be sent to power plants if all backups fail.

The agency added that so-called passive autocatalytic recombiners (PAR) are to be built into all reactors vulnerable to hydrogen explosions.


Yonhap


한글 관련 기사 [연합]

교과부 “고리1호기 재가동 문제 없어”

전국 원전 부지별 비상 디젤발전기 1대씩 추가
전원 필요없는 최신형 수소제거기, 비상 냉각수 외부 주입로 설치
일정 규모 이상 지진 감지시 원자로 자동정지 시스템 갖추기로

원자력 안전 규제 당국은 지난 12일 전기 차단기 고장으로 멈춰 선 고리 1호기에 대한 정밀점검 결과 문제가 없다고 판단, 사고 24일 만에 재가동을 공식 승인했다.

아울러 전국 21기 원전에 대해서는 일본 대지진 및 쓰나미와 같은 최악의 상황까지 대비할 수 있도록 비상 디젤발전기·최신형 수소제거기·비상 냉각수 외부주입로 등 관련 설비의 보강을 주문했다.

6일 이주호 교육과학기술부 장관은 원자력안전위원회 회의 직후 브리핑을 통해 "2007년 고리 1호기 계속 운전 허가시 검토됐던 안전 사항과 최근 제기된 원자로 용기 안전성, 지난 12일 발생한 정지 원인 분석과 후속 조치의 적절성 등을 점검했다"며 "고리 1호기의 주요 기기와 설비의 안전성이 계속 운전에 적합하고, 불시 정지 원인이 된 일부 부품도 교체해 재가동에 문제가 없음을 확인했다"고 밝혔다.

이에 따라 고리 1호기 운영 주체인 한국수력원자력은 이날 교과부로부터 이런 내용을 통보받는 대로 곧바로 재가동 절차에 착수할 것으로 알려졌다. 출력이 외부 송전 가능 수준인 10~15%에 이르는데 짧게는 하루, 100%까지는 3~4일 정도 걸린다는 게 당국과 한수원 측의 설명이다.

아울러 이 장관은 국내 원전 21기 전체에 대한 안전 점검 결과와 관련, "최악의 자연재해가 발생하더라도 원전이 안전하게 운영될 수 있도록 모두 50개의 장단기 안전 개선 대책을 발굴했다"며 "향후 5년간 약 1조원 규모의 재원을 투입, 단계적으로 반영해 나갈 계획"이라고 덧붙였다.

이 대책안에 따르면, 우선 고리 원전은 해안 방벽을 현재의 1.7m에서 4.2m로 증축, 전체 부지 높이를 다른 원전 수준(10m)으로 맞출 방침이다.

아울러 원전부지가 완전히 침수되는 상황에서도 비상전력 공급이 가능하도록 모든 원전의 비상 디젤발전기에 방수문과 방수형 배수펌프 등을 추가 설치키로 했다. 방수시설에도 불구, 비상 발전기가 작동하지 않는 경우까지 가정해 이동형 비상발전기(차량 장착)도 원전부지별로 1대씩 새로 확보할 예정이다.

또 최악의 경우 원자로 내 핵연료 손상으로 대규모 수소가 발생하더라도 `수소폭발` 사태를 막기 위해 전원이 필요없는 최신형 수소 제거 설비가 2013년까지, 격납건물 내 압력 상승을 예방하기 위한 배기 및 감압설비와 원자로 비상 냉각수 외부 주입로의 경우 2014년까지 모든 원전에 설치된다.

일본 사례와 같은 강진 발생에 대비, 일정 규모(지반가속도 0.18g)이상의 지진이 감지되면 원자로가 자동 정지하도록 설비를 개선하고 원자로 정지 및 잔열 제거와 관련된 계통 설비는 내진 성능을 재평가해 신형 원전 설계지진(지반가속도 0.3g)수 준까지 보강하는 방안도 이번 대책에 포함됐다.

교과부와 원자력안전기술원(KINS) 등 원자력 안전 규제 당국은 지난달 12일 고리 1호기 차단기 고장 사고 이후 원인 조사를 벌여 "근본적 안전에 문제가 없다"는 결론을 내렸으나, 안전성 논란이 가라앉지 않자 원전 운영사인 한수원이 같은 달 20일 스스로 당국에 `정밀점검`을 요청한 바 있다.

이에 민간 전문가와 KINS 검사원으로 구성된 37명의 점검단은 곧바로 22일부터 지난 3일까지 10여 일 동안 고리 1호기에 대한 조사를 진행했다.

또 앞서 당국은 지난달 18일 이명박 대통령에게 국내 21개 모든 원전을 대상으로 총체적 점검 계획을 보고한 뒤 민간 전문가 위주로 점검단을 구성, 3월 23일부터 4월 말까지 안전 점검을 수행했다.

이번 일제 점검의 초점은 이웃 나라 일본의 원전 사고에서 드러난 원전 운영·기술상 문제점을 우리 원전에 반영, 기존 매뉴얼을 업그레이드하는 데 맞춰졌다.

More in Social Affairs

Covid cases continue to drop but public anxiety remains high

On Covid vaccines, many Koreans say, 'You first!'

People finally feel the clutter, vow to stop shopping

Supreme Court says ousted president was guilty

Virus fighters shift focus to mental health

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now