No reply from Kim on summit invitation

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

No reply from Kim on summit invitation

South Korea has formally conveyed President Lee Myung-bak’s offer to invite North Korean leader Kim Jong-il to a major international security summit in Seoul next year, the Blue House said yesterday.

Lee unveiled the proposal during a visit to Berlin last week, saying he would invite Kim to next year’s Nuclear Security Summit of about 50 world leaders if Pyongyang firmly commits to nuclear disarmament and apologizes for last year’s two deadly attacks on the South.

“The genuine intention of our government has been delivered to the North,” Kim Hee-jung, Blue House spokeswoman, said, adding that there was “person-to-person” contact with the North after Lee made the proposal.

She declined to give more details, only saying that the South did not use a civilian dialogue channel.

“We hope there will be more specific discussions between the South and the North if there is an opportunity in the future,” she said.

Kim held summit meetings with two previous South Korean presidents and sources say the two Koreas had preliminary negotiations to arrange a summit between Lee and Kim in 2009, but then relations deteriorated.

The North’s initial reaction to Lee’s proposal was negative.

A couple of days after Lee announced the proposal, Pyongyang’s Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland, a propaganda outlet, denounced it as “ridiculous” and an attempt to disarm and invade the North with the United States.

Kim hinted yesterday that inter-Korean contact took place sometime after the North’s statement on Thursday. She said the North has not responded since.

“There are more than 10 months left before the nuclear security summit,” she said

Analysts said chances of North Korea accepting the offer are low.


By Ser Myo-ja, Yonhap [myoja@joongang.co.kr]


한글 관련 기사 [연합]

靑 “김정일 초청 진의, 北에 전달”

‘남북간 보다 구체적인 논의 기대’

정부는 서울 핵안보정상회의에 김정일 북한 국방위원장을 초청하겠다는 이명박 대통령의 베를린 제안과 관련, 북한과 실무 당국자간 접촉을 갖고 제안의 진의를 설명한 것으로 18일 전해졌다.

청와대 관계자는 이날 기자들과 만나 "서울 2차 핵안보정상회의에 김정일 위원장을 초청하는 문제에 대한 우리 정부의 진의가 북측에 전달됐다"면서 "향후에도 기회가 있을 때 남북간 보다 구체적인 논의가 있기를 기대하고 있다"고 말했다.

남북간 실무 접촉은 이 대통령이 덴마크 방문 당시 라스 뢰케 라스무슨 덴마크 총리와의 공동회견에서 이 문제를 언급한 이후인 것으로 전해졌다.

이 대통령은 당시 자신의 제안을 북한 대남기구인 조국평화통일위원회가 사실상 거부한 데 대해 "(제안에 대한 북한의) 소식은 없었다"면서 "어떤 반응이라도 그대로 받아들일 필요가 없다"고 말했었다.

이 대통령을 수행했던 관계자는 당시 "북한은 우리가 제안한 내용을 아주 구체적으로는 잘 알지 못하는 상황일 것"이라며 조만간 실무 접촉을 통해 진의를 설명할 것이라고 예고한 바 있다.

접촉 장소는 북한의 공관이 있는 중국 베이징(北京) 또는 독일이나 프랑스 등이었을 가능성이 제기되고 있다.

이에 따라 우리 정부 당국은 이번 남북간 실무 접촉에서 북한이 비핵화 의지를 가시화하면 김정일 위원장을 초청해 남북간 비핵화 정상회담을 하겠다는 이 대통령의 뜻을 상부에 전달해 달라고 요청했을 것으로 보인다.

특히 핵안보정상회의가 10개월 이상 남아있는 만큼 베를린 제안을 놓고 지속적으로 협의할 수 있다는 뜻을 분명히 한 것으로 해석된다.

그러나 앞으로도 북한이 베를린 제안을 수락할 가능성은 크지 않다는 분석이 지배적이다.

이에 앞서 이 대통령은 유럽 3국 순방 기간이던 지난 10일 독일 베를린에서 앙겔라 메르켈 독일 총리와 정상회담을 하고 북한이 비핵화에 합의하면 내년 3월 26∼27일 서울에서 열리는 제2차 핵안보정상회의에 김정일 위원장을 초청하겠다고 제안했다.

청와대 관계자는 "북한이 빨리 핵을 포기하고 서울 핵안보정상회의에 참석해 국제사회의 책임있는 일원이 될 수 있기를 바란다"고 말했다.

More in Politics

Moon's approval rating reaches all-time low: Realmeter poll

Disciplinary hearing for top prosecutor is postponed

Moon appoints ally to keep pressure on Yoon

Injunction gives Yoon his job back, at least temporarily

Prosecutors implore Choo to reconsider suspension

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now