Price to relocate bases goes way up

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Price to relocate bases goes way up

A U.S. government report warned on Wednesday that billions of dollars more will be needed to implement the planned relocation of U.S. military bases in Korea.

The report follows a call by a group of U.S. senators earlier this month to suspend the relocation plan, citing the cost issue.

The report by the Government Accountability Office, a nonpartisan investigative arm of Congress, pointed in particular to the cost of a plan to allow more U.S. troops in Korea to bring their families.

The study said that the Pentagon anticipated $17.6 billion through 2020 for its plan in Korea, which includes leaving the Yongsan base in the heart of Seoul, where troops have had friction with residents.

But the report called the estimate incomplete, saying that the plans to allow families and to extend the length of troops’ tours would cost $5 billion by 2020 and $22 billion by 2050.

The Pentagon “is transforming the facilities and infrastructure that support its posture in Asia without the benefit of comprehensive cost information or an analysis of alternatives,” the report said.

The report recommended that the Pentagon order a study of costs and limit spending on the Korea plan until the review is complete.

U.S. Senators Carl Levin, John McCain and Jim Webb on May 11 called on the Pentagon to re-examine what they called “unrealistic, unworkable and unaffordable” plans to restructure U.S. military forces in East Asia.

The Pentagon should place “the realignment of the basing of U.S. military forces in Korea on hold pending further review, and re-evaluate any proposal to increase the number of family members accompanying military personnel,” they said.

Seoul and Washington have agreed to relocate the U.S. military headquarters and bases in Seoul and northern Gyeonggi area to Pyeongtaek. The U.S. has about 28,500 troops in Korea.


By Moon Gwang-lip, AP [joe@joongang.co.kr]

한글 관련 기사 [연합]
美상원의원들, 주한미군 기지재배치 보류 주장
日후텐마 포함 동아시아 기지재편 재검토 요구
미국 상원 군사위원회 소속 주요 의원 3명이 11일 주한미군 기지와 일본 후텐마 미군기지 이전 계획 등 동아시아 지역 미군 기지 재편 계획의 재검토를 요구했다.

민주당 소속의 칼 레빈 상원 군사위원장과 같은 당 소속의 짐 웹 의원, 공화당 군사위 간사인 존 매케인 의원 등 3명은 이날 공동으로 발표한 성명을 통해 재정 문제 등을 거론하면서 현재의 동아시아 기지 재편 계획은 "현실적이지 않으며, 실현될 수 없고, 실행할 형편도 못된다"면서 이같이 밝혔다.

이들은 "국방부는 미국이 계속적으로 그 지역에 굳게 주둔할 것이라는 확신을 일본, 한국 및 다른 국가들에 주는 가운데 동아시아의 미군 재조정 계획을 재검토해야 한다"고 말했다.

의원들은 우선 그동안 논란이 돼 왔던 일본 후텐마 기지 이전 문제와 관련, 캠프 슈와브에 새로운 기지를 건설하는 대신 이미 있는 가네다 공군기지로 옮겨가는 방안을 검토하고, 후텐마 해병대 병력 괌 배치 계획의 재검토도 권고했다.


또 주한미군 기지 문제와 관련, "한국 내 미군기지 재편을 추가적인 검토가 이뤄질 때까지 연기해야 한다"면서 "미군과 동반하는 가족들 확충 계획도 재평가해야 한다"고 제안했다.

레빈 위원장은 후텐마 기지 이전 문제와 관련, "지난 2006년 미.일 간에 기지이전이행 로드맵 합의가 있은 뒤 많은 것이 변화했다"면서 이전 시기가 비현실적이고 비용도 크게 증가해서 현재의 재정 상황에서 감당하기 어렵다는 입장을 밝혔다.

그는 후텐마 기지 이전 계획은 지난 3월 대지진과 쓰나미 피해가 난 일본에 막대한 재정적 부담도 안길 수 있다고 지적했다.

매케인 의원은 "아태지역의 증가하는 역할은 우리로 하여금 끊임없이 역내 미군의 역할에 대한 재검토와 업데이트를 하도록 요구하고 있다"고 말했다.

웹 의원은 "동아시아에서의 미군 역할을 재정립하는 문제에 있어 중요한 시기에 도달했다"면서 "이 시기는 우리의 독트린을 명확히 하도록 요구하고 있고, 그래서 한국, 일본, 괌 등 역내의 미군 태세를 재정립해야 한다"고 말했다.

More in Politics

Injunction gives Yoon his job back, at least temporarily

Prosecutors implore Choo to reconsider suspension

Blue House aide draws fire for football game amid virus restrictions

Tensions rise between prosecution, Ministry of Justice ahead of court review

Opposition jumps on idea of Assembly probe of Choo

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now