North sinks any summit chance

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

North sinks any summit chance

테스트

Marines watch file footage of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il at Seoul Station yesterday as news of summit claims broke. [AP/YONHAP]


North Korea fired a powerful political broadside at the Lee Myung-bak administration, claiming three of its top officials “begged” and offered bribes at recent secret meetings in China for summit meetings between Lee and Kim Jong-il.

Shaken by the North’s revelation, the Blue House yesterday called an urgent meeting of its national security staffers to discuss the situation.

The Ministry of Unification said that the North’s statement was a “great exaggeration” and denied that any bribes or dates for summits were offered.

“There is no need for the South Korean government to respond to every little thing the North said,” the Unification Ministry’s spokesman Chun Hae-sung said yesterday in an official statement.

A statement released by the Korean Central News Agency quoted an unnamed spokesperson of North Korea’s National Defense Commission saying representatives of the two sides met secretly in Beijing more than once starting May 9 and that South Korean officials offered an envelope full of cash for summit talks to be held in late June, August and March 2012.

The statement said the three Seoul officials who offered the money were Kim Tae-hyo, deputy national security adviser to President Lee; Kim Chun-sig, director of the policy bureau at the Unification Ministry; and Hong Chang-hwa, a director of the National Intelligence Service.

The three officials named in the statement turned off their phones immediately after it was released and were unreachable for comment. As of yesterday evening, no official statement was released from the presidential office, and a Blue House official said the Unification Ministry would handle the issue.

The statement said that the South outlined details of the three summits, which would be held at Panmunjom, in Pyongyang and in Seoul. The summits would be agreed upon by a ministerial-level meeting, the statement said.

The South’s officials tried to persuade the North to accept the plan, the statement continued, by saying that “there wasn’t much left of President Lee’s time in office” and that it would be “advantageous” for Pyongyang to “hold hands with the conservative side [in the South].” The officials had asked for another meeting in Malaysia to work out specifics of the summits, KCNA said.

It said the secret meetings in China had been arranged by the South to supposedly discuss Lee’s invitation to Kim Jong-il to the Nuclear Security Summit next year in Seoul.

The South Koreans also supposedly “begged” the North to apologize for the March 2010 sinking of the Cheonan warship, which Pyongyang has denied, and the November 2010 shelling of Yeonpyeong Island, the statement said.

“When we firmly said it doesn’t make sense to apologize for something we had to do in our defense, they pleaded we give in to their request,” the statement said. “They begged that we show the world a compromise that would seem like an apology to the South but not look like an apology to the North.”

The statement also said that South Korea had promised the North in April not to bring up the subject of the two attacks again.

KCNA further said that North Korea will no longer engage with the South after its pleas and offers of bribes, a hard line that started two days before when it said it would cut military communication lines on the eastern coast of the Korean Peninsula.

“This kind of attitude from the North is of no help at all for relations between North and South Korea and it is a great pity,” said the Unification Ministry’s Chun, urging the North to take a responsible attitude toward the Cheonan sinking and Yeonpyeong Island shelling.

A Unification Ministry official said there had been a series of secret meetings between officials from North and South Korea to reiterate the South’s stance on the two North Korean attacks last year. The names of the people who participated in the meetings could not be confirmed.

“The money envelope does not make sense at all,” he said. “There was no such thing.” The official said no dates for a summit were offered.

The main liberal opposition Democratic Party condemned the Blue House for its double dealings.

“On the surface, the Lee administration insisted it had a hard-line North Korea policy, while begging for a summit behind the scenes,” Lee Yong-sup, DP spokesman, said. “This double standard is an act of deceiving the people.”

The DP also criticized North Korea for laying bare confidential details of inter-Korean contacts. “It is an international norm to keep confidential diplomatic contacts to arrange a summit, and the North’s decision to make public the details for political gain also deserves criticism,” Lee said.

The DP asked Seoul and Pyongyang to make amends and reach a compromise on a summit for the peace and prosperity of the two Koreas.


By Christine Kim, Ser Myo-ja [christine.kim@joongang.co.kr]


한글 관련 기사 [중앙일보]

北, “南 정상회담 제안…돈봉투 내밀며 천안함 등에 대한 유감표명이라도 해달라며 구걸”

북한은 지난달 9일 남북 간 베이징 비밀접촉에서 6월 하순과 8월, 내년 3월 세 차례 남북정상회담을 개최하고 이를 위한 장관급회담을 5월 하순에 열자고 제안했다고 1일 밝혔다.
북한은 이런 사실을 공개하면서 비밀접촉에 나선 남측 인사의 실명을 이례적으로 공개했다. 또 세 차례 정상회담을 성사시키기 위해 남측이 천안함 폭침과 연평도 포격에 대한 '사과처럼 보이는 절충안'을 만들자고 제안했다고 주장했다. 남측이 돈봉투를 내놓았다는 주장도 했다.

북한의 주장이 사실일 경우 상당한 파장이 예상된다. 이와함께 북측이 정상회담 비밀접촉 과정을 관례를 깨고 상세하게 공개하고, 남측을 원색적으로 비난함에 따라 남북 간에 상당기간 경색국면이 지속될 전망이다.

북한 국방위원회 대변인은 이날 조선중앙통신과 문답에서 지난 5월 9일 통일부 정책실장 김천식, 국가정보원 국장 홍창화, 청와대 비서실 대외전략비서관 김태효 등이 나와 북측과 비밀접촉을 했다고 밝혔다. 그러면서 "저들은 이미 정상회담 개최와 관련한 일정을 모두 잡아놓고 있다고 했다"고 주장했다. 북측 대표가 누구였는지에 대해서는 언급하지 않았다.

국방위 대변인은 "(천안함과 연평도) 두 사건에 대한 문제가 타결되면 5월 하순께 정상회담을 위한 장관급 회담을 열어 합의사항을 선포하고, 6월 하순께 제1차 정상회담을 판문점에서, 2차 정상회담을 두 달 뒤 평양서, 3차 정상회담은 3월 핵정상회의 기간에 개최할 것으로 예견하고 있으니 딱한 사정을 들어달라고 구걸했다"고 주장했다.

그는 "이들은 우리와 한 초기 약속을 어기고 천안호 침몰사건과 연평도 포격사건이 남북관계 개선을 위해 '지혜롭게 넘어야 할 산'이라며 우리의 사과를 받아내려고 요술을 부리기 시작했다"고 말했다.

이어 "우리 측이 우리와 무관한 사건과 정당한 자위적 조치를 두고 사과한다는 것 자체가 말이 되지 않는다고 (못)박아주자 '제발 북측에서 볼 때는 사과가 아니고 남측에서 볼 때는 사과처럼 보이는 절충안'이라도 만들어 세상에 내놓자고 하면서 우리 측에서 '제발 좀 양보해 달라'고 애걸했다"고 주장했다.

또 "우리 측의 단호한 입장에 '최소한 두 사건에 대해 유감이라도 표시해달라. 말레이시아에서 다시 만나 이 문제를 결속하자'면서 돈봉투까지 꺼리낌없이 내놓고 그 누구를 유혹하려고 꾀하다가 망신을 당하였다"고 말했다.

대변인은 비밀접촉 내용을 전격 공개한 데 대해 "괴뢰들은 비밀접촉에서 오고 간 이야기가 이남에 알려지면 좋지 않으니 꼭 비밀에 부쳐달라고 했다. 이러한 자들이 이명박 역도의 '베를린 제안'의 당위성을 선전할 목적 밑에 베이징 비밀접촉 정형을 날조해 먼저 여론에 공개했던 것"이라며 남측에 책임을 돌렸다.

또 "이명박 역적패당이 진정으로 북남관계를 개선할 의지가 있다면 애당초 그 무슨 베를린 제안과 같은 악담을 늘어놓지 말고 비공개 접촉 사실을 왜곡해 신의없이 공개하는 연극도 놀지 말았어야 했을 것"이라며 "우리는 이명박 역적패당과는 더이상 상대하지 않을 것"이라고 정상회담 거부의사를 분명히 했다.

이와 관련 청와대 관계자는 지난달 18일 기자들과 만나 "서울 2차 핵안보정상회의에 김정일 위원장을 초청하는 문제에 대한 우리 정부의 진의가 북측에 전달됐다"며 "향후에도 기회가 있을 때 남북 간 보다 구체적인 논의가 있기를 기대하고 있다"고 말한 바 있다.

한편 북한이 남북 간 비밀접촉 사실을 공개하자 정부 당국자들은 잇따라 내부 회의를 여는 등 대응책을 논의하느라 분주하게 움직였다.

실명이 거론된 통일부 김천식 정책실장 등은 전화기를 꺼놓은 채 언론과의 접촉을 피했다.

한 정부 당국자는 "그동안 어려운 과정을 겪어왔기 때문에 이번 국방위 대변인 반응에 일희일비할 수는 없다"면서도 "이것은 단순한 반응이 아니며 심각한 의미를 담고 있다"고 말했다.

또다른 당국자는 "성명과 같은 공식입장이 아닌 조선중앙통신 기자와의 문답 형식으로 공개한 것은 남측에 대한 기대를 완전히 접은 것은 아닌 것으로 보인다"며 "일단 세게 발언을 하고 우리 측 반응을 보겠다는 여지도 남겨두려는 의도"라고 분석했다.

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
s
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now