North threatens to release tape of secret meeting

Home > National > Social Affairs

print dictionary print

North threatens to release tape of secret meeting

North Korea said yesterday that if “South Korea keeps hiding the truth,” it would release a recording of a meeting in which South Korean officials allegedly offered bribes and begged for summit meetings between Kim Jong-il and Lee Myung-bak.

The North’s official Korean Central News Agency quoted an unnamed director of the National Defense Commission’s policy bureau from an interview yesterday saying it would be “forced to release the recording of the entire meeting” if “everyone refuses to announce the truth and circumstances spiral out of control.”

An official at the South Korean Ministry of Unification said yesterday that the North’s claim was “false” and that Seoul would not be repeating its official statement from June 1.

KCNA was referring to its claim on June 1 that South and North Korean officials had met secretly in China in May. The policy director was one of the North Korean officials who had participated in the secret talks, yesterday’s article said.

KCNA had claimed that the South Korean officials “begged” for summit talks and an apology for the sinking of the Cheonan warship in March 2010 and also offered the North Korean officials an envelope full of cash. However, the same Unification Ministry official said there had been no such envelope. Seoul’s response to that claim was muted, although it said it was a “great exaggeration.”

The report said that the Lee Myung-bak administration is only concerned about South Korea’s presidential and legislative elections next year.

Seoul has said the meetings in China were efforts to get North Korea to take responsibility for the Cheonan sinking and the shelling of Yeonpyeong Island last November, which yesterday’s report called a “complete lie.”

“We have the words of Kim Chun-sig,” said the report. Kim is the Ministry of Unification’s policy chief and was one of three South Korean officials at the secret meetings.

KCNA also said the South’s officials “pleaded for the meetings to be held to absolute secrecy” because they were “extremely bad” for South Korean society.

The article said Unification Minister Hyun In-taek had organized the meeting after President Lee Myung-bak ordered them.

“Those who wish to know the truth should ask the actual participants of the meeting, Kim Tae-hyo, Kim Chun-sig and Hong Chang-hwa,” KCNA said. “Then everything will become clear.”

Kim Tae-hyo is deputy national security adviser to President Lee and Hong Chang-hwa is a director of the National Intelligence Service.


By Christine Kim [christine.kim@joongang.co.kr]

한글 관련 기사 [중앙일보]
북 “비밀접촉 녹음기록 공개” 협박

대화 몰래 녹음, 초유의 일 … 통일부 “있다면 왜곡 말고 모두 밝혀라”
박지원 “북, 공개방침 취소해야”
북한은 9일 남북한 당국 간에 지난달 베이징에서 이뤄진 비밀접촉과 관련해 당시 녹음 내용을 공개할 것이라고 위협했다. 북한 국방위원회 정책국 대표는 관영 조선중앙통신과의 문답에서 “우리는 역적패당의 주장이 얼마나 황당무계한가를 다시금 까밝히려 한다”며 “비밀접촉이 정상회담 개최를 목적으로 한 게 아니었다는 역적패당의 떠벌림은 완전한 거짓말”이라고 비난했다. 또 접촉에 참여했던 김태효 청와대 대외전략비서관 등이 진실을 밝히기를 거부한다면 “ 전 과정의 녹음 기록을 만천하에 공개하지 않을 수 없게 될 것”이라고 말했다.

 북한의 주장에 대해 통일부 당국자는 “녹음 등이 존재한다면 더 이상 왜곡해 말하지 말고 모든 내용을 있는 그대로 밝히라”고 촉구했다. 지난 1일 북한 국방위의 비밀접촉 일방 공개로 빚어진 남북 간 대치는 더 첨예해질 것으로 보인다. 남북 간에 이뤄진 비공개 접촉 대화를 북한이 몰래 녹음하고 이를 공개하겠다고 위협한 것은 남북회담사에 초유의 일이다. 정부는 “접촉은 정상회담을 위한 게 아니라 천안함·연평도 도발에 대한 북한의 시인·사과를 받기 위한 것”(현인택 통일부 장관)이라고 설명한 바 있다.

 중앙통신은 특히 이날 문답을 나눈 대상이 “비밀접촉에 나갔던 공화국의 국방위 정책국 대표”라고 언급해 베이징 접촉 북측 참가자가 국방위(위원장 김정일) 소속이었음을 공개했다. 또 “앞서 진행된 두 차례의 비밀접촉”이란 표현을 사용해 베이징 접촉 외에 이명박 정부에서 비공개 대북 접촉이 두 차례 더 있었음을 드러냈다.

 북한은 이날 베이징 접촉 당시의 정황까지 소개했다. 지난 1일 공개 때 ‘남측이 돈봉투를 건네려 했다’고 밝힌 데 이어 “접촉이 결렬 상태에 이르자 비서관 김태효의 지시로 정보원(국가정보원) 국장 홍창화가 트렁크에서 돈봉투를 꺼내 들자 김태효는 우리 손에 쥐여주려 했다. 우리가 즉시 쳐던지자 김태효는 얼굴이 벌개져 안절부절못했고 홍창화는 트렁크에 황급히 돈봉투를 걷어 넣고 우리에게 작별인사도 제대로 못했다”고 주장했다. 또 “우리 대사관(베이징 북한 대사관)에서 숙식, 운수 수단을 보장했다는 것을 모르지 않는 그들이 우리 대사관에 체류비를 섬겨 바치려 돈봉투를 마련했겠는가”라고 했다. 하지만 통일부 당국자는 “돈봉투는 존재하지 않는다”고 일축했다.

 민주당 박지원 의원은 북한의 공개 위협과 관련, “(그런 방침을) 즉각 취소해야 한다”며 “그런 짓을 하면 국제 사회서도 비판받지만 진정한 한반도 평화를 위해 노력하는 분들도 화나게 하고 실망케 한다”고 밝혔다.

More in Social Affairs

Ban's NCCA proposes no diesel vehicle sales by 2035

Floral furor

Seoul ratchets up restrictions to curb coronavirus

People with disabilities left behind by Korea's Covid response

Seoul's distancing level ratchets up to Level 2 Tuesday

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now