Minor victims can seek late compensation

Home > National > Social Affairs

print dictionary print

Minor victims can seek late compensation

The cabinet yesterday approved a revision to the civil law suspending the statutory period for the right to demand compensation for a sexual crime until the underage victim becomes an adult. The revision aims to protect the rights of minors who have been sexually assaulted as many of them shy away from seeking reparation as children. By the time they reach adulthood, it can be too late to file for compensation as the statutory period lasts for 10 years. Under present civil law, victims can ask for compensation within 3 years of realizing they had been harmed or 10 years from when the illegal act took place. The revision would extend those periods to 5 years and 20 years, respectively.

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now