49 years on, family told of son’s death at spy camp

Home > National > Social Affairs

print dictionary print

49 years on, family told of son’s death at spy camp

테스트

Holding up a photo of his elder brother Jeon Gwang-su on Aug. 12, Jeon Bong-su explains how the former spy died during a military training exercise for special missions into North Korea. By Byun Sun-goo


A special committee is reviewing whether the family of a South Korean man who died half a century ago while being trained as a spy for elite missions into North Korea is eligible for compensation.

The family was notified of their bereaved relative’s death last month, when the government put an end to a 49-year-long puzzle that began when the family lost touch with the man, whose name was Jeon Gwang-su.

“Mr. Jeon Gwang-su died during training on Sept. 30 of 1962 ahead of being dispatched for a mission in the North,” the South Korean military intelligence command said in a letter sent to the family on July 14.

The household made strenuous efforts to locate Jeon’s whereabouts but kept hitting a wall as the government had ghosted his identity and fate for decades, they said in a recent interview with the JoongAng Ilbo.

The big question now is whether they will receive the settlement of up to 140 million won ($129,510) for his services rendered to the state.

Korea drew up a special law in 2004 to compensate special agents or their dependents after a group of former spies demonstrated in downtown Seoul in 2002 demanding that their contributions and sacrifices be recognized.

Now the issue of handing out the money lies within the jurisdiction of a committee at the Prime Minister’s Office that was established based on the special law. It has helped dig out the buried records of numerous former agents, including those pertaining to Jeon.

More than 10,000 South Koreans were recruited for military intelligence missions across the heavily armed inter-Korean border since it was established in 1953.

Efforts to build formidable espionage units hit their apex in the 30 years from 1960 to 1990 as Seoul attempted to thwart spies and assassins from the North while using crack troops of its own to gather intelligence.

The government took pains to keep their existence quiet and leave as few records as possible, making it notoriously difficult for relations to find out what became of them if they never returned home.

The family said Jeon signed up for the mission in May 1962 promising to come home laden with riches after being handsomely rewarded. He sent a postcard several months later in August and was never heard from again.

In a desperate bid to learn of his whereabouts, his mother, Jo Un-yeong, left her lodging house business and took a manual job at an Army restaurant for military officers, where she worked tirelessly to prize morsels of information on her son from the enlisted men.

Jo carried her son’s final postcard with her until she passed away in 2006 at the age of 91, her family said.

In February, the committee discovered Jeon’s name in a secretly drafted list of former special agents.

Security authorities made the list to monitor the families of the agents in case the latter were arrested by the North and coaxed into collaborating, along with their relatives.

The committee then acquired testimony from special agents trained in the same military unit as Jeon.

In its official notification of his death, the committee said that “several people died from an accident during training and Gwang-su was one of [them].”


By Lee Chul-jae [joe@joongang.co.kr]


한글 관련 기사 [중앙일보]

49년 만에 되찾은 이름, 북파공작원 전광수


‘돈 벌겠다’ 입대 후 소식 끊기자 어머니와 동생, 반세기 수소문
총리실 특수임무 보상심의위 “1962년 9월 30일 훈련 중 사망”


꼭 49년이 걸렸다. 전봉수(68)씨가 북파(北派)공작원이었던 2살 위 형 광수(사진)씨의 사망 사실을 알기까지 그처럼 긴 세월이 흘렀다. 전씨는 지난달 14일 정보사령부로부터 ‘전광수(全光洙)씨는 1962년 9월 30일 북파공작 훈련 도중 사망했다’는 내용의 순직 확인서를 받았다.

 광수씨는 62년 5월 “돈 많이 벌어 오겠다”며 북파공작원에 지원했다. 그해 8월 “잘 지내니 걱정하지 말라”는 내용의 엽서를 가족에게 보낸 뒤론 소식이 끊겼다. 어머니 조운영씨는 그때부터 광수씨를 찾아 다녔다. 생계를 위해 하던 하숙집 운영도 포기하고 육군본부 장교식당에 취직했다. 광수씨의 행방을 장교들에게 물어보기 위해서였다.

 조씨는 2006년 91세로 운명하기까지 광수씨의 유품이 돼 버린 엽서를 늘 가슴에 품고 다녔다고 한다.

 전씨가 형의 사망 사실을 뒤늦게나마 알게 된 건 국무총리 소속 ‘특수임무수행자 보상심의위원회(보상심의위·위원장 서태석)’의 노력 덕분이었다. 보상심의위는 2005년 발족했다. 2002년 일부 북파공작원 출신들이 도심에서 가스통 화염 시위를 벌이면서 그들에 대한 보상 문제가 사회적 관심사가 됐다. 2003년 국가인권위원회는 국회의장과 국방부 장관에게 북파공작원의 실체를 인정하고, 그들의 명예회복 및 보상을 규정한 특별법을 제정할 것을 권고했다. 이에 따라 이듬해 ‘특수임무수행자 보상에 관한 법률’이 만들어졌다.

 전씨의 경우 그동안 청와대를 비롯해 관계 당국에 여러 차례 진정서를 냈지만 형에 대한 보상을 받아내지 못했다. 광수씨가 복무했던 사실을 입증하는 서류가 없었기 때문이다. 1만4000여 명의 북파공작원이 기재된 정보사의 공작원 명부에도 ‘전광수’란 이름은 없었다. 전씨는 2005년 형이 근무했던 북파공작 부대의 동료들로부터 광수씨가 함께 복무했다는 증언을 받았다. 이를 근거로 보상심의위에 보상을 신청했다. 광수씨가 언제 사망했는지를 알 수 있을지 모른다는 생각에서 그렇게 했다고 한다.

  보상심의위는 올 2월 광수씨의 이름을 ‘배경 내사자 명단’에서 찾아냈다. 이 명단은 과거 보안당국이 실종된 북파공작원의 가족을 감시하기 위해 만든 것이다. 북파공작원으로 북한에 들어갔다가 체포돼 북한의 포섭공작에 넘어갈 경우에 대비해 그런 명단을 작성했다고 한다. 보상심의위는 다른 북파공작원으로부터 “당시 훈련 도중 사고가 일어나 여러 명이 죽었다. 사망자 중 광수씨도 포함됐다”는 진술을 확보했다. 그런 다음 전광수씨가 순직했다는 걸 동생 봉수씨에게 알려줬다. 현재 전광수씨에 대한 보상 심의가 진행 중이다. 보상심의위의 결정이 내려지면 전광수씨 유족은 1억4000만원이 넘는 보상금을 받게 된다.

 전봉수씨는 기자와의 인터뷰에서 “늦었지만 어머니의 한을 풀어 다행”이라며 “이제 형의 시신을 찾아 현충원에 모시는 게 소원”이라고 말했다.

More in Social Affairs

Gov't tries to keep CSAT from being superspreader event

Chun Doo Hwan found guilty of defaming priest over Gwangju massacre account

Prosecutors implore Choo to reconsider suspension

Bird flu infects ducks on North Jeolla poultry farm

Regional leadership is at the heart of CNU president's approach

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now