Bolt’s scalp one of many claimed by revised rule

Home > Sports > Baseball

print dictionary print

Bolt’s scalp one of many claimed by revised rule

테스트

Usain Bolt of Jamaica, second from right, jumps the gun in the men’s 100-meter final at the IAAF World Championships in Daegu on Sunday night. Bolt was disqualified due to the IAAF’s 18-month-old zero-tolerance rule for false starts. [YONHAP]


DAEGU - The false start rule introduced in January last year by the International Association of Athletics Federations is coming under scrutiny after sprint king Usain Bolt was disqualified from the 100-meter final on Sunday.

Unlike in previous editions of the Worlds, when the race would have re-started and Bolt almost certainly would have won, the Jamaican got no second chance last weekend and is now focused on Friday’s 200-meter final.

“Of course I am extremely disappointed not to have had the chance to defend my title due to the false start,” Bolt said in a statement released yesterday. “However, I have to move on now as there is no point dwelling on the past.”

But Bolt is not the only athlete to come a cropper because of the new rule. Kim Kuk-young, the national record holder in the 100 meters with 10.23 seconds, was kicked out during the preliminary rounds on the opening day for the same reason.

테스트

In the past, every athlete was allowed one false start each. But the rule was changed to stop slower sprinters from abusing it by using it as a delaying strategy to distract their rivals. It was also amended to please TV broadcasters and impatient viewers.

The first major change came in 2003, when the IAAF, the world athletics governing body, decided that whoever made the second false start of any race would be disqualified. The current rule was approved in 2009 by a vote at the IAAF General Assembly in Berlin, with a 97-55 majority.

After Sunday’s shock result, the IAAF signaled that it has no intention of revoking the rule, at least not yet.

“It is important to remember that a sport’s credibility depends on its rules and they must also be applied consistently and fairly for all athletes,” it said. “The current false start rule, applicable to all but combined events, has been in effect since Jan. 1, 2010 and all elite athletes have had the chance to adjust.”

They may have, but the thousands who bused their way across the country on Sunday to watch the man who has single-handedly resurrected athletics and fired it back into the popular imagination, were not.

A hushed silence washed through Daegu Stadium on Sunday night as is slowly dawned on people that Bolt was out. In the end, the most highly anticipated event of the biennial Worlds seemed like little more than a footnote, as Bolt’s training partner, 21-year-old Yohan Blake, raced to victory.

In the absence of Bolt, the former world and Olympic champion, as well as his teammate Asafa Powell and American Tyson Gay (both injured), the race hardly seemed a fair indication of who now ranks as the world’s fastest man.

Before the race began, most analysts were not trying to guess who would win it - but whether Bolt had been playing possum late in the season and was preparing to thrill everyone with another electrifying, world record-setting performance to beat his own 9.58 seconds.

But that will now probably remain a mystery until the London Olympics next summer, as may the fate of the false start rule.

“I don’t think the false start rule is the right one, but as the IAAF think it is good for TV it will probably stay,” said Sunday’s bronze medalist Kim Collins.


By Joo Kyung-don [kjoo@joongang.co.kr]


한글 관련 기사 [중앙일보]

“볼트, 우스꽝스러운 규정에 걸려들어”

‘번개 잡은 실격 규정’
영국 언론들 개정 촉구

우사인 볼트(25·자메이카)가 28일 대구 세계육상선수권대회 100m 결승에서 부정출발로 실격되자 규정을 고쳐야 한다는 여론이 일고 있다. 국제육상경기연맹(IAAF)은 지난해부터 부정출발 규정을 엄격히 적용했다. 흥행을 위해서다. 잦은 부정출발로 경기가 지루해진다는 지적을 감안했다. 독일 dpa통신은 “상대적으로 열세인 선수들이 라이벌을 자극하기 위해 일부러 부정출발을 해 김을 빼는 등 신경전이 있었다”고 보도했다. 더 큰 이유는 금전적인 문제다. 부정출발로 경기가 지연되자 방송 쪽에서 불만이 나왔다. dpa는 “IAAF가 많은 중계권료를 받기 위해 규정을 고쳐야 했다”고 보도했다.

 그러나 흥행을 위해 바꾼 규정이 최고 스타를 희생시키고 이로 인해 흥행이 나빠지는 역설적인 결과가 나왔다. 게다가 부정출발에 대한 제재가 엄격하면 선수들은 움츠러들고 스타트 반응속도가 느려져 기록 단축이 쉽지 않다.

 선수들도 충격을 받았다. 100m에서 은메달을 딴 월터 딕스(미국)는 “실제 상황이 아닌 것 같다”며 “IAAF가 볼트를 아웃시키리라고 생각하지 못했다”고 말했다. 우승자인 요한 블레이크(자메이카)는 “내가 언젠가 우승할 줄 알았지만 이번이 될 줄은 몰랐다. 나는 승리에 대한 기쁨과 볼트에 대한 슬픔을 동시에 느끼고 있다”고 했다.

 언론, 특히 영국의 미디어들이 규정을 다시 완화해야 한다고 촉구하고 나섰다. 내년 열릴 런던 올림픽에서도 비슷한 일이 벌어져 대회를 망칠까 봐서다. 가디언은 ‘볼트가 우스꽝스러운 규정에 걸려들었다’고 보도했다. 인디펜던트는 ‘볼트의 충격적인 퇴출 때문에 부정출발 규정에 대한 논란이 촉발됐다’며 규정 개정이 필요하다고 썼다. 영국 언론은 스프린터 타이슨 게이가 지난해 부정출발에 대해 한 말도 인용했다. 그는 “볼트가 부정출발하면 모두가 화가 나서 실격시키지 말라고 할 것”이라며 “볼트가 실격하면 새 규정에 경종을 울리는 셈”이라고 했다.

 그러나 IAAF는 규정을 다시 고치는 문제에 대해 부정적이다. IAAF는 29일 “규칙은 규칙이다. 볼트가 탈락한 것은 규정이 공정하다는 걸 증명한 것이고 개정을 요구하는 반응은 아직 섣부르다. 시간을 두고 생각해 볼 문제”라고 발표했다. 그러나 “문제가 심각해지면 4일 총회에서 논의해볼 수 있다”고 뒷문은 열어놨다.

 한편 우사인 볼트는 “컨디션이 아주 좋았고 결승에서는 더 빨리 달릴 준비가 돼 있었다. 그러나 지나간 일에 미련을 둘 수는 없고 다시 앞으로 나아가야 한다. 며칠간 다시 집중해 남자 200m 예선을 준비하겠다”고 IAAF를 통해 발표했다.


◆IAAF 부정출발 규정 변천=부정 출발을 하는 선수가 곧바로 실격 처리되는 현행 규정은 2009년 통과되어 지난해 1월 1일 이후 열린 모든 대회에서 적용됐다. 메이저대회 중 대구 세계선수권이 처음으로 이 규정을 적용받는 대회다. 2009년까지는 두 번째 나온 부정출발부터 실격시켰다. 2003년까지는 한 선수가 두 번 부정출발을 해야 실격됐다.





More in Baseball

Choi Ji-man is first Korean to pick up a World Series hit

Eagles catcher Choi Jae-hoon reflects on tough season

KT's Rojas Jr. tests negative after coronavirus scare

KBO playoffs start Nov. 1 and could run until Nov. 25

Eagles legend Kim Tae-kyun announces his retirement

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now