Police clear protesters from Jeju base site

Home > National > Social Affairs

print dictionary print

Police clear protesters from Jeju base site

테스트

Riot policemen yesterday scuffle with protesters who oppose the construction of naval base at Gangjeong Village on Jeju Island. Police stormed two sit-in protests near Gangjeong Port at around 7 a.m., where about 100 protesters were blocking the entrance of the construction site. [YONHAP]


Police arrested yesterday 38 antibase protesters in Gangjeong Village, Jeju Island, and resumed construction on the base, which has been suspended due to protests for more than two months.

At around 5 a.m., a fire siren echoed through the small village, alerting local residents to the arrival of the police. About 25 minutes later, 20 buses of riot police arrived.

About 600 police stormed two sit-in protests near Gangjeong Port at around 7 a.m., where about 100 protesters were blocking the entrance of the construction site. No injuries were reported.

Police pushed away the protesters with shields so that a construction company could install a 200-meter (656 feet)-long fence around the site. The Korean navy sent two tractors to aid the work. The fence was completed at around 9: 30 a.m.

With a previously installed 1.6 kilometer-long fence, the entire site is now fenced in, enabling workers to resume the government-led construction.

The construction of the naval base on about 530,000 square meters (53 hectares) of land near Gangjeong Port at a cost of 17.4 billion won ($16 million) is facing stiff resistance from a disparate group that says the base threatens the peace of Jeju Island.

Local residents have been joined by liberal activists and religious leaders from all over Korea in what has become a nationwide antigovernment movement.

About 100 protesters resisted the police and navy. A priest tried to climb on a navy tractor, but was dragged off by police. Some protesters chained themselves to a watchtower at Jungdeok Intersection near the village.

Police arrested 35 protesters on charges of interfering with the construction, along with three leaders of a local committee against the base.

“There was a physical clash with the police,” said Jo Gyeong-cheol, vice president of a local community in Gangjeong Village. “We demand they leave here after they finish building the fence. And we will beautifully finish our ‘festival’ on Sept 3 as scheduled.”

Police said they will stay in the village until Thursday to make sure no one climbs the fence to get onto the site. Organizers of the protests were supposed to hold a rally dubbed “Plane for Peace,” a reference to all the outsiders flying in for the protests, but they changed the rally into “festival” after the Jeju District Court banned any kind of interference with the construction.

Holding the festival will be allowed, except for any parading in the construction site, police said.

About 2,000 people are expected to attend the festival and 170 people from the mainland have purchased tickets for a flight arranged by the organizers, which is departing today.

“We were relieved we could install the fence without causing any injuries,” Yun Jong-gi, a senior official at Jeju Provincial Police Agency said. “After keeping an eye on the situation, we will determine when we can withdraw the policemen from the village.” Construction of the base is about 30 percent complete.


By Kim Hee-jin [heejin@joongang.co.kr]

한글 관련 기사 [연합]
해군기지 건설 본격화할 듯…울타리 완료
공사현장 출입통제..반대측과 마찰 불가피
서귀포시 기지 내 불법시설물 철거 미온적
해군이 경찰의 공권력 지원을 받으며 제주 해군기지 건설 현장 둘레에 일반인의 출입을 막기 위한 울타리 설치공사를 마무리해 공사가 본격화될 전망이다.

해군은 2일 오전 경찰 600여명이 해군기지 반대 농성을 벌이는 중덕삼거리 일대를 봉쇄한 가운데 굴착기 2대를 동원, 강정포구와 중덕삼거리 주변 150여m에 철조망이 덧붙여진 높이 2m가량 되는 울타리를 설치했다.

이에 따라 해군기지 공사장 주변에 길이 1.6㎞의 울타리 설치작업이 모두 마무리돼 정해진 출입구를 제외하고는 출입할 수 없게 됐다.

해군이 마무리 울타리 공사를 한 것은 농성자들이 공사장에 진입하는 것을 막아 그동안 중단됐던 공사를 본격적으로 재개하기 위한 것으로 보인다.


이는 경찰이 지난달 14일 1차로 수도권 지역 전경과 여경기동대 등 600여명의 경찰과 물대포, 진압 장비 차량 등을 제주에 파견하고 공사를 방해하는 불법행위는 법과 원칙에 따라 엄정하게 대처하겠다고 밝힐 때부터 감지됐다.

같은 달 31일에는 김관진 국방장관, 권도엽 국토해양부장관이 "외부 반대 단체가 중심이 돼 불법적으로 사업 추진을 막았다"며 반대 활동을 중지하라고 요구하는 합동담화문을 발표해 힘을 실어줬다.

제주지법은 이날 해군기지를 반대하는 주민과 사회단체 회원들이 공사를 방해해서는 안 된다는 내용의 공사방해 금지 등 가처분 신청 결정문을 해군기지 건설 현장에 고시해 반대 세력을 압박했다.

서귀포경찰서는 지난달 26일 해군기지 건설 사업 현장에서 업무를 방해한 혐의(업무방해)로 강정마을회 강동균(54) 회장을, 또 다른 2명을 특수공무집행방해 혐의로 구속했다. 1일에는 해군기지 건설을 반대해 온 시민운동가 3명을 연행해 공권력 투입에 앞서 사전 정지작업을 했다.

해군은 조만간 서귀포시가 행정대집행을 통해 반대 측이 설치한 불법 시설물을 철거하고, 국회 예결특위 해군기지조사소위원회의 현지실사가 끝나는 대로 공유수면 준설작업과 케이슨(부두 암벽을 구성하는 콘크리트 구조물) 설치 등 공사를 재개할 것으로 전해졌다.

해군 제주기지사업단 관계자는 "가능하면 빠른 시일 내 공사를 재개할 예정"이라고 밝혔다. 해군은 지난해 12월 말부터 해군기지 건설 공사에 들어가 올해 6월 말 준설공사를 벌이다 주민 등의 반대로 공사를 중단했다.

하지만 철거 권한을 가진 서귀포시가 해군기지 사업 부지에 해군기지 반대 측이 설치한 컨테이너 2개와 텐트 3개 등 불법 시설물을 언제 철거할지는 미지수다.

해군이 지난해 12월 초 불법 시설물을 철거해 달라는 요청을 했음에도 시가 아직 행정대집행에 나서지 않고 있기 때문이다.

서귀포시는 해군기지 문제를 중재해야 할 입장에서 시설물 철거에 직접 나서기는 어려워 사업자인 해군이 직접 나서 불법 시설물을 철거하는 게 바람직하다는 견해를 보이고 있다.

김훈근 서귀포시 해양수산과장은 "법제처와 국토해양부가 지난달 26일 철거 권한이 서귀포시에 있다는 유권해석을 내렸지만 3일 뒤인 29일 제주지법은 해군이 직접 철거할 수 있다는 판결을 했다"고 말했다.

그는 "최근에 해군이 불법 시설물을 철거해 달라는 요청을 하지는 않았다"고 밝혔다.

그러나 해군기지를 반대하는 주민과 사회단체 등은 경찰이 주민과 활동가들을 구속 또는 연행하고 해군이 공사를 재개한 것에 크게 반발하며 계속 반대 투쟁을 이어가겠다는 뜻을 밝혀 마찰이 예상된다.

도의회는 이날 오전 강정마을에서 한나라당 의원들이 불참한 가운데 기자회견을 열어 "공권력 행사를 통한 갈등 해결은 갈등을 증폭시킬 뿐"이라며 "이번 사태로 인한 모든 불상사의 책임은 중앙정부에 있다"고 말했다.

참여연대와 한국여성단체연합 등 120개 시민단체로 구성된 '제주 해군기지 건설 저지를 위한 전국대책회의'는 강정마을 주민 등과 함께 3일 강정마을 일대에서 올레 걷기, 구럼비 순례선언, 평화콘서트 등으로 짜여진 '놀자 놀자 강정 놀자' 문화행사를 열 예정이다.

해군은 2014년까지 9천776억원을 들여 이지스함을 포함해 해군 함정 20여척과 최대 15만t급 크루즈 선박 2척이 동시에 댈 수 있는 해군기지를 건설할 예정이다. 현재 총사업비의 14%인 1천405억원을 집행한 상태다.

More in Social Affairs

Distancing measures raised nationwide, Seoul kept at Level 2

From dentist to lawyer to anticorruption advocator

Korea to host virtual anticorruption conference this week

New Covid cases surpass 500 for second day in a row

YG founder fined for gambling in Los Angeles

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now