Seoul asks Tokyo for talks on comfort women

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Seoul asks Tokyo for talks on comfort women

Korea yesterday proposed bilateral talks with Japan to determine whether a compensation treaty reached decades ago has exempted its neighbor from legal responsibility for the long-standing issue of Korean sex slavery victims from World War II.

This is the first time Seoul has suggested official talks questioning the scope of the treaty, as it has been pushed by a ruling of the Constitutional Court late last month that said the government was actually violating the Constitution by not making sufficient efforts to get Japan to compensate the so-called “comfort women.”

“We gravely and wholeheartedly accept the ruling of the Constitutional Court on Aug. 30,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Cho Byung-jae said in a media briefing. “In that light, we called in the Japanese minister for general affairs from the Seoul embassy and delivered a letter suggesting talks.”

Seoul said such talks are allowed under the 1965 Agreement Between Japan and the Republic of Korea Concerning the Settlement of Problems in Regard to Property and Claims and Economic Cooperation, which leaves room for negotiations when there is a difference in its interpretation.

That agreement was among a set of accords reached in 1965 in a bid to normalize bilateral relations after Japan’s colonial rule of Korea from 1910-45.

Japan argues that the settlement agreement, for which the Park Chung Hee administration received $800 million in aid and loans, settles all individual claims from Korea for Japan’s wartime acts. Korea’s stance is that the comfort women issue is separate, as are the issues of Korean victims of the nuclear bombings in Japan and Korean conscripted laborers on Sakhalin island.

The Korean government began pursuing the sex slavery issue in the early 1990s, when Korean comfort women began taking legal action against Japan, but it had not previously suggested talks to determine whether the issue is included in the 1965 agreement. The agreement allows for an arbitration committee, which can force a legally binding conclusion of disputes, although no such committee has ever been formed.

Asked whether Korea would propose an arbitration committee, Cho said the government will, for now, focus on resolving the issue through talks. He said the ministry decided to form a task force on the issue.

The Aug. 30 Constitutional Court ruling was in response to a petition filed in 2006 by 109 comfort women, who claimed their rights to pursue happiness, guaranteed under the Constitution, were violated by the government’s lack of efforts on the sex slave issue.


By Moon Gwang-lip [joe@joongang.co.kr]


한글 관련 기사 [연합뉴스]

정부, 일본에 '위안부' 양자협의 공식제안

청구권협정 따른 사상 첫 분쟁해결 절차
주한 日공사 불러 구상서 전달..日반응 주목

정부는 헌법재판소가 위안부 등의 문제해결을 위한 정부의 외교적 노력을 촉구하는 결정을 내린 것과 관련해 15일 일본 정부에 양자협의를 공식 제안했다.

정부가 위안부와 원폭 피해자, 사할린 동포 문제와 관련해 한일 청구권협정상의 분쟁해결 절차를 근거로 공식 양자협의를 제안한 것은 이번이 처음이다.

외교통상부 조세영 동북아국장은 이날 오전 가네하라 노부카츠(兼原信克) 주한 일본대사관 총괄공사를 외교부로 불러 이 같은 제안을 담은 구상서를 전달했다.

이번 제안은 '협정의 해석 및 실시에 관한 양국 간 분쟁은 우선 외교상의 경로를 통해 해결하며, 이에 실패했을 때 중재위원회에 회부한다'는 한일 청구권 협정 3조에 근거하고 있다.

외교부 조병제 대변인은 이날 정례브리핑에서 "지난 8월 30일 헌재의 결정을 진지하고 엄중하게 받아들이는 차원에서 주한 일본 총괄공사를 외교부로 초치해 우리 입장을 설명했다"면서 "빠른 시일 내에 양자협의가 이뤄지고 이 문제에 대한 진지한 협의가 이뤄지길 기대하고 있다"고 밝혔다.

조 대변인은 "청구권 협정 3조1항에 따른 조치를 단계적으로 해나갈 예정"이라면서 "일단 양국 간 협의를 제안하는 단계이기 때문에 당분간은 그 협의가 이뤄질 수 있도록 노력을 집중해나갈 것"이라고 말했다.

외교부 당국자는 "정부는 그동안 위안부 문제가 1965년 한ㆍ일 청구권 협정대상에 포함되지 않는다는 입장을 갖고 일본 측에 대해서도 지속적으로 문제 제기를 해왔다"면서 "헌재의 결정이 내려진 만큼 청구권협정상의 분쟁해결 절차에 근거해 공식 협의를 하자고 제안했다"고 설명했다.

정부는 이번 제안에서 대일 청구권에 위안부와 원폭 피해자, 사할린 동포의 배상청구권이 포함되는지에 대해 양국 간 해석 차이가 존재하는 만큼 이를 논의하기 위한 공식 양자협의를 개최해야 한다는 입장을 밝힌 것으로 알려졌다.

정부는 그러나 구체적인 협의 시기와 장소에 대해서는 언급하지 않았다.

이에 대해 일본 정부는 한일 청구권 협정으로 개인 배상청구권이 소멸됐다는 입장이어서 양자협의 개최에 동의할지가 주목된다.

정부는 일본이 제안을 거부할 경우 수위를 높여 청구권 협정에 근거한 중재위원회 구성을 일본에 제안하는 방안을 검토할 것으로 알려졌다.

정부는 외교부 동북아국과 국제법률국 관계자들로 태스크포스(TF)를 구성해 향후 대응조치와 관련한 전반적 사항을 연구해나가기로 했다.

More in Politics

Opposition jumps on idea of Assembly probe of Choo

Blue House names new foreign policy secretary

Prosecutors protest suspension of Yoon by justice minister

DP wants parliamentary probe of prosecutor general

Justice minister suspends top prosecutor, accuses him of illegal surveillance, ethical violations

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now