Deoksu’s name might be changed

Home > Culture > Arts & Design

print dictionary print

Deoksu’s name might be changed


Actors re-enact a royal guard-changing ceremony in front of Daehanmun, the main gate of Deoksu Palace, which sits adjacent to City Hall in central Seoul. The Cultural Heritage Administration is considering changing the palace’s name based on public input. [JoongAng Ilbo]

Deoksu Palace, which sits adjacent to City Hall in central Seoul, might have its original name restored if the public agrees.

The Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea has been revising the names of historical sites since July, but it has yet to decide if it should rename Deoksu to Gyeongun Palace, the compound’s original moniker when it was first used as a royal residence.

The CHA is now inviting the public to weigh in through a variety of outlets, including on its Facebook page where an ongoing discussion is taking place.

Originally built as a private residence for the brother of King Seongjong (1457-1494), Deoksu was used as the king’s temporary home during the Imjin War (1592-1598) after many royal palaces were burned down or destroyed.

After Gwanghaegun’s ascension to the throne, he named the residence Gyeongun Palace in 1611. The palace would remain in royal use, with Emperor Gojong (1852-1919) making it his office.

But after Emperor Gojong’s abdication, under Japanese pressure, Emperor Sunjong in 1907 renamed it Deoksu Palace.

Proponents of preserving the palace’s current appellation cite the public’s familiarity and comfort with the name since it’s been used for more than a century. They also argue that renaming the palace would bring unnecessary social and economic costs.

However, those who advocate restoring Deoksu Palace’s original name say that sticking with the current appellation would be keeping a disgraceful aspect of the country’s history, according to a statement released by the CHA on Thursday.

The CHA is gathering public opinion on its Facebook page,, and through other mediums from today through Sept. 26. A final decision will be made after a public hearing and a deliberation process by the Cultural Properties Committee.

By Lee Sun-min []

한글 관련 기사 [연합뉴스]

'덕수궁' 돌담길, '경운궁' 돌담길 되나

문화재청, 시민의견 수렴해 명칭 재검토

사적 124호인 덕수궁(德壽宮)의 명칭을 경운궁(慶運宮)으로 바꾸는 방안이 추진된다.

문화재청은 일부 역사학계에서 덕수궁의 본래 이름이 경운궁이라는 사실을 들어 옛 명칭을 회복해야 한다는 주장이 제기됨에 따라 시민의견 수렴을 거쳐 문화재위원회에서 명칭 변경 여부를 심의해 결정하기로 했다고 15일 밝혔다.

문화재청은 명칭변경에 대한 설문조사(9.19~9.26)와 문화재청 페이스북(www.facebook. com/chloveu) 등을 통한 여론수렴 결과를 토대로 공청회를 거쳐 문화재위에 이 안건을 상정할 방침이다.

하지만 덕수궁이라는 명칭이 "100여 년 이상 사용됨으로써 이미 사회적으로 정착된 상태이므로 이를 바꾸면 사회적ㆍ경제적 비용이 커 혼란을 초래할 수 있다"는 반론이 만만치 않아 이번 명칭 변경 움직임은 상당한 논란을 부를 전망이다.

문화재청은 이런 까닭에 지난 7월 국가지정문화재 중 사적 439건의 문화재 지정명칭을 변경, 고시했지만 덕수궁은 결론을 내리지 못한 채 유보했었다.

그러나 원래 명칭인 경운궁을 되살려야 한다고 주장하는 측에서는 경운궁이 1611년부터 300여년 간 사용한 역사적인 명칭인 데다, 고종이 러시아공사관으로 피신했다가 이곳으로 돌아와 대한제국을 선포한 이후에는 대한제국 황실의 명실상부한 법궁이라는 정통성을 내세운다.

명칭 변경론자들은 "1907년 경운궁 명칭이 덕수궁으로 개칭된 것은 일본 제국주의의 압력으로 고종이 황제 자리를 순종에게 양위한 뒤 이전 황제의 거처라는 의미를 갖는 것이므로 원래 명칭으로 회복해야 한다"고 주장한다.

덕수궁은 선조가 임진왜란으로 의주로 피난했다가 한양으로 돌아왔지만 궁궐 전각이 소실돼 머무를 곳이 없어 성종의 형 월산대군의 사저(私邸)였던 곳을 1593년 임시행궁으로 사용하면서 궁궐로 등장하기 시작한다.

이후 선조의 아들인 광해군은 1608년 이곳에서 즉위하고 3년 후인 1611년 임시행궁을 경운궁이라고 명명했다가 1907년에 이르러 덕수궁으로 개칭했다.
Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)