NEC’s Web site hacked two times last weekPolice said Saturday they launched an investigation into a set of hacking attacks of the national election watchdog’s Web site earlier last week.
“The National Election Commission [NEC] asked the police on Friday to probe the distributed denial-of-access attacks that occurred on Jan. 8 and 9,” said an official from the Cyber Terror Response Center of the National Police Agency.
The NEC’s Web site was shut down for more than two hours after being hacked on the morning of the Seoul mayoral election on Oct. 26. Voters complained that they couldn’t find the location of their local polling station as a result.
Prosecutors concluded that the October attack was carried out by two low-level parliamentary aides with close ties to the ruling Grand National Party.
According to the police, the NEC Web site was briefly overloaded at around 3:40 p.m. on Sunday and at around 7 p.m. on Monday.