Keeping nomination races fair

Home > 영어학습 > Bilingual News

print dictionary print

Keeping nomination races fair

Representative Park Geun-hye, interim leader of the ruling Grand National Party, said, “Genuine party reform begins with a change in the candidate nomination process for lawmakers.” She added that when the nominations are done according to acceptable standards, it will mark a significant turning point in the party’s reform efforts. We welcome Park’s remarks, given citizens’ fervent desire for a genuine revolution in the candidate nomination process ahead of the legislative elections in April.
Han Myeong-sook, the newly elected chairwoman of the opposition Democratic Unity Party, seems to agree with Park’s ideas. In a press conference after winning the post, Han vowed to “bring about a revolution in the nomination process so that we can return the right to nominate candidates to the people” through ordinary citizens’ full participation in the process.
With the election of a new DUP leadership, both parties are expected to compete harder in the battle to hold fair candidate nominations. The GNP has decided to introduce a U.S.-style open primary. This is in sharp contrast to how it conducted itself in the legislative elections four years ago, when the pro-Lee Myung-bak faction wielded absolute influence in the nominations.
The GNP will hold open primaries for 196 constituencies — a whopping 80 percent of the 245 constituencies across the nation — in order to carry out a bottom-up nomination process instead of closed-door, top-down process. The remaining 20 percent will be strategically picked by the party leadership. The party has also decided to split its electoral college into the general public (80 percent) and party members (20 percent) who regularly pay their dues.
The GNP’s ideas seem quite innovative and mesh well with the current tide of participatory democracy based on social networking platforms. The DUP is no exception: It plans to select 70 percent of its candidates through public participation in voting and 30 percent based on traditional top-down nominations.
The unprecedented change in procedure will require a revision of election law, as well as the cooperation of both parties, because they will have to choose their candidates on the same day with the government’s official election watchdog closely monitoring the process. Otherwise, party members could create serious problems via participation in the other party’s nomination race.
Only when both sides conduct nomination races on the same day will people accept the authenticity of the parties’ desire to change.


한나라당•민주당의 공천혁명 경쟁 시작 국민이 선택하는 개방형 상향식이 정답 양당이 협력해야 처음으로 실현 가능
한나라당 박근혜 비상대책위원장은 어제 “정당 쇄신의 핵심은 뭐니뭐니해도 공천”이라고 말했다. “국민이 고개를 끄덕일만한 기준과 틀에 따라 시스템 공천이 이뤄진다면 그게 정치쇄신의 중요한 분기점이 되리라 생각하며, 이번에 그런 공천을 꼭 이뤄내야 한다”는 말도 했다. 옳은 인식이다. 국민은 4월 총선을 앞두고 여야 정당에서 ‘공천 혁명’이 일어나길 바라고 있다. 민주통합당 한명숙 신임대표도 국민의 이런 여망을 정확히 알고 있는 걸로 생각된다. 그는 그제 대표로 선출된 직후 기자회견을 하는 자리에서 “공천혁명을 반드시 하겠다. 전략공천을 최소화하고 완전 국민경선으로 국민에게 공천권을 돌려드리겠다”고 다짐했다. 민주당이 새 지도부를 선출함에 따라 여야의 공천 경쟁은 뜨겁게 달아오를 전망이다. 어느 정당이 어떤 방식으로 얼마나 좋은 후보들을 공천하느냐에 따라 4월 총선의 명암이 엇갈릴 것이기 때문이다. 한나라당 비대위가 어제 확정한 공천 방식은 4년 전과는 완전히 다른 것이다. 2008년 2월 이명박 정부가 출범한 직후 단행된 18대 총선 공천 땐 친이명박계 핵심 인사들이 밀실에서 마음대로 칼자루를 휘둘러 큰 파동이 났다. 이번엔 당내 특정세력이 공천을 좌지우지할 수 없도록 국민참여 경선으로 후보를 고르겠다는 게 핵심이다. 미국의 완전 국민참여 경선제인 오픈 프라이머리(Open Primary)와 유사한 제도를 도입하겠다는 것이다. 한나라당은 전국 245개 지역구의 80%인 196개 지역에서 국민참여 경선을 실시하고, 나머지 20% 지역에 대해서는 당에서 후보를 낙점하는 방식의 전략공천을 하겠다는 방침을 정했다. 과거 당 중심으로 이뤄지던 폐쇄형 하향식 공천을 없애고, 국민의 뜻이 반영되는 개방형의 상향식 공천을 하겠다는 것이다. 국민경선 선거인단의 비율을 당비를 내는 책임당원 20%와 일반국민 80%로 구성한 건 국민의 선택권을 더 존중하겠다는 얘기다. 공천 신청을 받기 전에 현역 의원들의 경쟁력을 평가해 그 중 25%에겐 아예 신청 자격도 주지 않겠다는 방침은 인적 쇄신의 폭을 확대해 보다 많은 신인들에게 출마 기회를 주겠다는 것이다. 한나라당이 제시한 공천방식은 혁신적이다. 국민이 소셜네트워크 서비스(SNS) 등을 통해 정치에 적극 참여하는 시대의 흐름에 걸맞은 방안이다. 민주당도 비슷한 생각을 하고 있다. 국민참여 경선(70%)과 전략공천(30%)을 병행하겠다는 것이다. 국민이 사상 처음으로 여야의 총선 후보를 선택하는 일이 현실화하려면 양당이 협력해 선거법을 개정해야 한다. 양당이 지역별로 같은 날 경선을 실시하고, 그걸 중앙선관위가 관리할 수 있도록 해야 하는 것이다. 같은 날 경선을 하지 않으면 여당 당원들이 야당의 경선에 전략적으로 참여해 여당이 상대하기 쉬운 야당의 예비후보를 밀고, 야당 당원들도 마찬가지로 행동하는 등 ‘역(逆)선택’의 문제가 발생할 수 있다. 양당이 같은 날 국민참여 경선을 축제 분위기로 멋있게 치른다면 국민은 정치권에서 진정한 쇄신과 변화가
Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
s
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now