Terror suspect tracked to Olympic ParkAn Islamist terror suspect in Britain charged with breaking restrictions on his movements had crossed through London’s Olympic Park five times, several newspapers reported Sunday.
The 24-year-old - identified only as CF - is suspected of being associated with Somalia’s Al-Qaeda-allied Shebab rebels, The Sunday Telegraph and the Sunday Mirror said.
He is one of nine people suspected of being a risk to national security who are subject to Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures (TPIM) - legal orders which restrict movements, contacts and computer use.
The Sunday Mirror said he was a British jihadist. The Sunday Telegraph said he comes from a large Somali family in north London.
CF was deported from Somalia back to Britain in March last year.
He served two months in jail for a previous absconding offence before being released and placed under TPIM restrictions and ordered to live in Norwich, eastern England.
According to papers lodged in the High Court proceedings, Home Secretary Theresa May believes that were it not for his TPIM restrictions, CF “would re-engage in terrorism-related activities, either in the U.K. or Somalia.”
It could not be said that he has “renounced his commitment to terrorism,” she argued.
A spokeswoman for the state Crown Prosecution Service said: “CF is next in [criminal] court on July 27.”
The London 2012 opening ceremony is the same day.