Michael J. Fox gets a new TV series
NEW YORK - NBC has made it official: Michael J. Fox is coming back to series TV more than a decade after he left to concentrate on fighting Parkinson’s disease.
His new comedy series, based loosely on his personal life, has a 22-episode commitment from NBC and is set to premiere in the fall 2013, the network announced Monday.
The single-camera comedy, thus far untitled, will feature Fox as a husband and father of three from New York City who is dealing with family, career and challenges that include Parkinson’s, the network said. No further casting was announced.
The executive producers and co-creators are Will Gluck (“Easy A,’’ “Friends with Benefits’’) and Sam Laybourne (“Cougar Town,’’ “Arrested Development’’), with Gluck producing through his Sony Television-based Olive Bridge Entertainment. He also will direct the pilot.
Fox first won stardom for his work as Alex Keaton on the hit comedy “Family Ties,’’ which began its seven-season run on NBC in 1982.
“To bring Michael J. Fox back to NBC is a supreme honor,’’ said Robert Greenblatt, chairman of NBC Entertainment, “And we are thrilled that one of the great comedic television stars is coming home again.’’ He called Fox “utterly relatable, optimistic and in a class by himself.’’
The 51-year-old actor was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 1991. In 2000, he left his ABC comedy “Spin City’’ after four seasons.
He founded the Michael J. Fox Foundation, which is dedicated to finding a cure for sufferers of Parkinson’s disease while promoting the development of improved therapies and raising public awareness of the disease.
Since then, he limited his acting appearances to guest shots on series including “Rescue Me,’’ “Boston Legal,’’ “Curb Your Enthusiasm’’ and “The Good Wife.’’ AP