Josadang Hall of Buseoksa Temple
Name: Josadang Hall of the Buseoksa Temple
Period: Late Goryeo
Location: Yeongju, North Gyeongsang
Status: National Treasure No. 19
Josadang, or the Josadang Hall, is where the portrait of Monk Euisang is enshrined. Monk Euisang built the Buseoksa Temple, located on the hillside of Mount Bonghwangsan, in the 16th year of King Munmu (676) of the Silla Dynasty.
Josadang was built in the third year (1377) of King U of the Goryeo Dynasty (913-1392) and was repaired in the 21st year (1490) of King Seongjong of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). It was repainted in the 24th year (1493). The building itself is quite small in size.
Therefore, the detailed forms are more compact than the Muryangsujeon in the precinct of the Buseoksa Temple. The left and right sides of the inside of the building had mural paintings completed during the end of the Goryeo Dynasty, such as an image of the Four Devas and an image of Bodhisattva.
They are very rare among the mural paintings done during the Goryeo era, and with the exception of the mural paintings of ancient tombs, historians say they are some of the oldest colored paintings in Korea. They are being protected in a specially made building for preservation.
More in Arts & Design
A Buddhist monk bops to Beethoven, artists in Estonia knit his brainwaves
The neighborhood of Seongsu offers style and substance
Artist Park Reyhun steps out of her husband's shadow and shines
2020.11.6 Museums & Galleries