FIFA bans 41 Koreans for life for match-fixingThe global football governing body said Wednesday it has extended domestic match-fixing sanctions on 41 South Korean players to worldwide lifetime bans.
“FIFA can today confirm the extension of sanctions on 41 players from [South Korea] related to a domestic match-fixing investigation dating back to the summer of 2011,” the Zurich-based FIFA said in a press release. “All 41 players have been sanctioned with a lifetime ban from all football activity by the K League and the Korea Football Association’s disciplinary committees. The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has extended the sanctions to have worldwide effect.”
In 2011, dozens of former and active players were indicted and found guilty of accepting cash to fix matches. It was the first match-fixing scandal in the K League, the country’s top division football competition, founded in 1983.
In June last year, FIFA had also extended domestic sanctions on 10 other players involved in match-fixing to have worldwide effect. Yonhap
More in Football
All still to play for as K League enters its final weekend
Son gets winner against Burnley to become EPL top scorer
Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors are one game from K League title
Despite goal from Son, Spurs finish with disappointing draw against West Ham
Korean senior squad beats juniors in special exhibition match