Hacker group attacks North’s Web sites againThe international hacker collective Anonymous, which previously hacked the pro-Pyongyang propaganda Web site Uriminzokkiri and leaked some 15,000 members’ personal profiles on the Internet in March, carried out its second cyberattack of the North’s Web sites yesterday.
One of the hackers who conducted the attack, identified by the ID @AnonyOpsKorea, stated on Twitter that the attack began at 10 a.m. yesterday Korean time, and that they successfully hacked the official Web sites of the North’s public institutions, including the Korea Central News Agency (KCNA), Air Koryo, Choson Sinbo, a pro-North newspaper based in Japan, Uriminzokkiri again, as well as the Rodong Sinmun, the North’s official mouthpiece.
North Korea Tech (www.northkoreatech.org), a Web site specializing in news related to Pyongyang, updated the condition of the target Web sites after Anonymous declared that they began the cyberattack in real time.
But the Web sites of the KCNA and Rodong Sinmun recovered within minutes, according to the North Korea Tech, indicating that the North has been prepared for the attack since the North’s official government Web site (www.korea-dpr.com) experienced a malfunction in March.
At the time, Anonymous said that the reason for the malfunction was because they hacked the Web site.
The North at the time said “the claim of the attack and the profile that Anonymous has leaked on the Internet is faulty and made up by the South Korean government.”
At 2 p.m. yesterday, Anonymous warned that they will strike again, saying, “Today’s attack is small and we will carry out a larger-scale attack on June 25.”
By Min Kyung-won, Kwon Sang-soo [firstname.lastname@example.org]
More in Social Affairs
Covid-19 cases pass 600 as Seoul hits a record high
Aide at center of Lee Nak-yon probe dies in apparent suicide
Students across the country take CSATs amid surging virus cases
Disciplinary hearing for top prosecutor is postponed