Commemorative stele of Silla King Jinheung
At that time, Bitbeolgaya was an important territory for Silla to progress toward the West, with historians describing it as “the pivot of a fan.” Accordingly, it was incorporated into Silla territory in the 16th year (555) of King Jinheung.
In 561, King Jinheung made a royal tour of the area. Four years later, it was incorporated with Daeyaju (today’s Hapcheon) and called either Bisabeol-gun or Bijahwa-gun.
The monument was at the foot of the hill of Mokmasanseong Fortress at first, but in 1924 it was moved to the present site and placed inside a pavilion. It has the common form of those in the Silla Era among the Three Dynasties - namely Goguryeo, Silla and Baekje.
The frontal surface of a natural stone was trimmed to be even and carved with an epitaph. The outline was marked with a line around the monument.
The construction date of the monument was in the 22nd year (561) of King Jinheung, which was one year before Daegaya was destroyed.