History education must be improved

Home > 영어학습 > Bilingual News

print dictionary print

History education must be improved

테스트

When North Korea invaded South Korea on June 25, 1950, the North’s strength was incomparable to that of the South. It is a natural consequence that Seoul fell to the North in three days.

However, then-Minister of Defense Shin Sung-mo bragged in a press conference in January 1950, “We have all the preparation to recover the lost territory and are waiting for the order.” The annual report by the United States Military Advisory Group to the Republic of Korea had said that “the level of the ROK Army in June 1949 was similar to the U.S. Army at the time of the Civil War in 1775.”

Since liberation and independence movements were fast spreading around the globe at the time, leftist intellectuals in developed countries were not so friendly toward South Korea. L’Humanite, a newspaper published in Paris and the organ of the French Communist Party (PCF), reported on June 26, 1950: “A serious war broke out in Korea by the puppets of the United States. The military of the People’s Republic proudly responded to the invasion of the South Korean forces.”

In the meantime, Jean-Paul Sartre initially claimed a northward invasion by the South, and when it became clear that it was the North that started the war, he insisted that Pyongyang fell into the trap of the South, orchestrated by the United States, and committed an irreversible mistake.

Now, no one can deny that the 1950-53 Korean War was started by North Korea as a scheme with the Soviet Union and China. Not just China but also the Soviet Union, which sent its MiG-15 force of the 64th Fighter Corps to the war, took part in the battles.

But does the young generation understand the facts of the Korean War? Last week, President Park Geun-hye pointed out that about 70 percent of our students think that the Korean War was a northward invasion, igniting a debate on the need to strengthen our history education. But some argued that the students might have misunderstood a question on the survey and thought that “northern invasion” was an invasion of the North by the South. Saenuri Party lawmaker Lee Hak-jae requested the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education survey students with a more straightforward question. When asked, “Who started the Korean War?” A good 86.8 percent of the respondents said, “North Korea,” to our relief.

But in another survey by the Ministry of Security and Public Administration, 52.7 percent of the middle and high school students did not know the year that the Korean War broke out. While older generations may think that is pathetic, we need to pay attention to the trend that the Korean War is gradually becoming a part of history. I grew up hearing personal stories of the war. My mother had escaped from guerillas when she was taking refuge on Jeju Island. And my uncle is a war veteran and still receives pension benefits.

But the young generation must feel different toward the war than my generation. Experience and history have different gravity. As of 2010, among the 47.99 million South Koreans, 7.61 million are over 60 and lived through the Korean War, even as infants. Further, 40.38 million were born after the armistice agreement. The Korean War was an experience for 7 million while it is a part of history for 40 million. The gap will only grow bigger. The focus is already shifting from the “memories of the war” to the “war in history.” That’s why we need to pay more attention to history education.

* The author is an editorial writer of the JoongAng Ilbo.

by NOH JAE-HYUN












1950년 6월25일 새벽 북한이 전격적으로 남침할 때 남·북한의 전투력은 비교조차 되지 않았다. 서울이 사흘만에 함락당한 것은 당연한 귀결이었다. 그런데도 신성모 당시 국방장관은 "실지(失地) 회복을 위한 모든 준비가 되어 있으므로 다만 명령만 기다리고 있다"(50년 1월 기자회견)며 얼빠진 허풍을 늘어놓고 있었다. 미 군사고문단이 연례보고서에서 "49년 6월의 한국군은 독립전쟁 당시(1775년)의 미국 육군 수준에 불과하다"고 진단했는데도 말이다.
전세계적으로 독립·해방 바람이 불고 있었기에 선진국 좌파 지식인들도 남한에 우호적인 분위기가 아니었다. 프랑스 공산당(PCF) 기관지 '뤼마니테'의 50년 6월 26일자 기사 제목은 '한국에서 미국의 꼭두각시들에 의한 중대한 전쟁 도발. 인민공화국의 군대가 남한군의 침략에 의기양양하게 대응하다'였다. 장 폴 사르트르는 북침설을 주장하다 남침이 점차 분명해지자 "미국의 사주를 받은 남한의 함정에 빠져 돌이킬 수 없는 실수를 저질렀다"고 우기기도 했다.
6·25가 북한이 구소련·중국과 짜고 일으킨 전쟁이라는 사실은 이제 누구도 부인하지 못한다. 중국은 물론 구소련군도 직접 참전(제64전투비행군단)했다. 자라나는 세대는 이런 사실을 잘 알고 있을까. 지난주 박근혜 대통령이 "한탄스럽게도 학생들의 약 70%가 6·25를 북침이라고 한다"고 지적하면서 역사교육 논란이 벌어졌다. 대통령이 지적한 설문조사 문항의 '북침'을 학생들이 '북한이 남한을 침략'했다는 뜻으로 오해했을 것이라는 반론도 제기됐다. 새누리당 이학재 의원이 서울시교육청에 의뢰해 '6·25 전쟁은 누가 일으켰나'라는 질문으로 다시 조사해보니 응답 학생의 86.8%가 북한이라고 했다니 아주 걱정할 일은 아닌 듯하다.
안전행정부가 주관한 다른 조사에서는 중·고교생의 52.7%가 6·25 전쟁 발발연도를 모르고 있었다 한다. 장년층 이상에겐 한심해보이겠지만 한편으로 6·25가 서서히 '역사'에 편입되고 있는 흐름에 주목해야 한다. 나만 해도 6·25 때 제주도로 피란 갔던 어머니가 공비에 끌려가다 탈출한 적이 있고, 당숙은 참전용사 연금 수혜자다. 생생한 체험담을 들으며 자란 나와 지금 젊은 세대는 또 다를 것이다. 체험과 역사는 아무래도 농도가 다르다. 남한 인구 4799만여 명 중 갓난아기적에라도 6·25의 포성을 들어본 세대(만 60세 이상)가 760만 6903명, 휴전 이후 태어난 세대(0세~59세)는 4038만 3858명이다(2010년 현재). 760만명 대 4040만명. 차이는 갈수록 벌어질 것이다. 이미 초점은 '전쟁의 기억'에서 '기억의 전쟁'으로 이동하고 있다. 역사교육에 보다 공을 들여야 하는 이유다.

노재현 논설위원



Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
s
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now