Sex scandal list given to prosecutors

Home > National > Social Affairs

print dictionary print

Sex scandal list given to prosecutors

Police have wrapped up their four-month investigation into a high-profile sex-for-influence scandal by referring a long list of influential suspects who attended lavish sex parties to the prosecution on multiple lurid charges.

The 18 people include former Vice Justice Minister Kim Hak-eui and Yoon Jung-cheon, the construction firm head who put the parties together at his Wonju villa in Gangwon.

The National Police Agency yesterday announced that they have booked Kim on rape charges without physical detention.

They are keeping Yoon behind bars on multiple charges including rape, drug possession and fraud.

The 16 others on the list reportedly include former and incumbent senior government officials, university professors and a former president of a university hospital. Fifteen were booked without physical detention.

A former executive director of a Seoul savings bank identified as Kim has also been in jail for providing Yoon with 32 billion won ($28.6 million) in illegal loans.

During a press briefing at the National Police Agency yesterday, the police said some women brought to the parties claimed Yoon forced them to have sex with his influential guests.

They added that Kim attended an event sometime between March and April of 2008.

Police also confirmed that they do indeed have three much-discussed video files that allegedly show Kim having sex with one such woman at the villa.

“They show sexual activities, as it has been rumored,” said investigating officer Huh Young-bum during the briefing.

Yoon has been suspected of offering raunchy entertainment to influential figures in return for helping him win construction orders. He has been in jail since July 10 on 10 charges.

The investigation into the scandal has drawn intense public interest, especially into whether Kim Hak-eui - with his elite life of a long career as a prosecutor after getting a law degree from Seoul National University - had taken sex as bribes.

Amid the mounting allegations, Kim resigned from the No. 2 position at the Justice Ministry in March, just six days after he had been appointed.

The 56-year-old denied any wrongdoing, saying he was stepping down because he would not be able to properly perform his duties while facing such allegations.

Kim continues to deny the charges against him and has refused to appear before the police for questioning four times, citing health reasons.

Police say they have testimony from the women at the villa that Kim indeed took part in the sex party.

But the former vice minister has not been charged with bribery, as police could find no evidence that he did Yoon any special favors as a senior prosecutor.

BY KANG JIN-KYU, CHUNG KANG-HYUN [jkkang2@joongang.co.kr]

More in Social Affairs

DP wants parliamentary probe of prosecutor general

Symposium illuminates Asian countries' responses to pandemic

Surging cases could soon create I.C.U. shortages, health officials warn

Justice minister suspends top prosecutor, accuses him of illegal surveillance, ethical violations

No new airport

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now