Tom Cruise settles lawsuitLOS ANGELES - Actor Tom Cruise on Friday settled a $50 million defamation lawsuit against a German media company that published a report saying the Hollywood star had “abandoned” his daughter Suri after his divorce from actress Katie Holmes.
Attorneys for Cruise and Bauer Publishing Company, which publishes U.S. celebrity magazines Life & Style and InTouch Weekly, agreed to have the lawsuit dismissed, with each paying their own costs and attorneys’ fees, according to a document filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.
The actor’s attorneys said in a statement that Cruise and Bauer settled the dispute and that the publishing company “never intended to communicate that Tom Cruise had cut off all ties and abandoned his daughter, Suri, and regret if anyone drew that inference from anything they published.”
Terms of the settlement were not disclosed and are confidential, the statement said. Bauer’s attorneys were not immediately available to comment.
Cruise’s lawsuit, which also alleged invasion of privacy, gave a glimpse into the “Mission: Impossible” actor’s tightly guarded private life, including his divorce from Holmes and his Scientology religion.
The case was scheduled to head to trial in June 2014.
In a declaration filed in federal court last month, Cruise denied that he had cut his 7-year-old daughter out of his life, “whether physically, emotionally, financially or otherwise.”