A reluctance to change

Home > >

print dictionary print

A reluctance to change

Kanbei Kuroda (1546-1604) was a legendary Japanese military leader of the late Sengoku to early Edo period.

When Toyotomi Hideyoshi unified Japan and declared that it would invade Korea, he discouraged aggression as a “thoughtless fight.” But after Japanese troops left for Korea, Kuroda suggested the “withdrawal of the entire army.”

Mitsunari Ishida, Hideyoshi’s closest aide, was displeased with this proposal and framed Kuroda, attempting to pressure him into killing himself for honor.

But Kuroda’s supporters dissuaded him from the honor suicide and he went back to Hideyoshi and told them that he needed to stay alive to discourage Hideyoshi from his reckless actions. He said that jumping off a cliff because of the lord was blind obedience and that discouraging him from leaping was loyalty. This is called the “advice of Kanbei.”

Over the indictment of former Seoul bureau chief of Sankei Shimbun Tatsuya Kato, center in the photo, for an article he wrote about President Park Geun-hye, the Japanese criticized that his punishment would never have been passed down if Park had a proper advisor. This may be true, but Japan is in no position to point fingers. There is no “Kanbei” who puts the brakes on Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s ultra-conservative swing, either. Only blindly obedient followers are rampant, while true advisors and strategists are missing.

Another trend we often fail to notice is Japanese society’s deep-rooted reluctance to change. For better or worse, Japan doesn’t alter. The same 10 percent of Japanese people dominate politics and business. But the rest, 90 percent, don’t express complaints because income distribution among regions and classes is reasonable.

Japan is a unique society where people support unreasonable arguments if a just claim accompanies major changes. After the devastating Fukushima nuclear accident, the anti-nuclear power group is considered a minority. It is structurally different from Korea, where people find drastic change refreshing.

Ironically, this calls for Korea to alter instead of Japan. When there is no advisor suggesting change and no general citizen wanting it, then it is reckless to say that Japan should reform. Such a demand only encourages our antagonism against each other. The key to diplomacy with Japan is not about whether to hold a summit meeting or not. It depends on whether Korea is ready to embrace the limits of the existing means of making “demands,” and if we are able to systematically draft strategies, tactics and plans with Japan as a constant.

*The author is the Tokyo bureau chief of the JoongAng Ilbo. JoongAng Ilbo, Nov. 4, Page 34

by KIM HYUN-KI






구로다 간베(黒田官兵衛·1546~1604). 일본 전국시대부터 에도시대 초기에 걸쳐 군사(軍師)로 이름을 날린 전설적 인물이다.
종영을 두달 앞둔 올해 NHK 대하드라마의 주인공이다. 간베는 도요토미 히데요시(豊臣秀吉)가 전국통일에 이어 조선정벌을 선언하자 "무모한 싸움"이라 말린다. 조선에 출병한 뒤에는 '전군 철수'를 감히 제안한다. 이를 못마땅히 여긴 도요토미의 최측근 가신 이시다 미쓰나리(石田三成) 일당의 모함에 의해 간베는 할복의 위기에 놓인다. 하지만 간베는 머리를 삭발한 채 소신을 버리지 않았다. 주위의 간청으로 할복을 면한 뒤에도 그는 다시 도요토미의 곁으로 갔다. 이유는 간단했다. "곁에 있어야 조금이라도 폭주를 막을 것 아니냐." 그는 주군이 절벽에서 뛰어내릴 때 같이 뛰어내리는 건 맹종이고, 뛰어내리지 못하도록 하는 게 충성이라 했다. '간베 책사론'이다.
산케이 전 서울지국장의 기소를 놓고 일본 내에선 "한국에는 박근혜 대통령을 제대로 보좌하는 인물이 없는 것 아니냐"는 지적이 인다. 그럴 수 있겠다. 하지만 일본도 그런 말할 계제는 아닌 듯 하다.
당장 아베 신조(安倍晉三) 총리의 우향우 질주에 브레이크를 걸고 '세계속의 일본'을 디자인하는 '간베'의 모습이 없다. 맹종 집단만이 기세를 올린다. 한때 "간베가 아닐까"하고 기대를 걸었던 스가 요시히데(菅義偉) 관방장관도 "알고보니 이시다 미쓰나리"란 지적이 많다. '책사 부재'의 시대다.
또 하나 우리가 간과하기 쉬운 게 일본 사회의 뿌리깊은 변화기피증이다.
최근 지인이 털어놓은 고민. "일본 회사 다니는 아들이 연봉 3배 주겠다는 외국기업으로 옮기지 않는 이유를 캐보니 일본인 며느리가 '아빠가 외국인인데 회사라도 일본 기업에 다녀야 우리 아이들 학교 생활이 편하다'고 우긴다는 거에요. 그게 일본인의 사고방식이에요."
좋은 의미에서도 나쁜 의미에서도 일본은 변화를 않는다. 정치나 재계를 주도하는 세력은 예나 지금이나 10%의 특정세력이다. 하지만 지역·계층 간 소득 분배가 잘 돼 있어 나머지 90%의 불만 표출이 격하지 않다. 정당한 주장이라도 큰 변화를 수반해야 한다면 부당한 주장에 손을 들 수 있는 독특한 사회다. 그 끔찍한 후쿠시마 원전사고를 겪고도 '반 원전' 세력이 '소수파'로 취급당하니 말이다. 팍팍 갈아치워야 속이 후련한 우리와는 구조적으로 다르다.
이는 역설적으로 우리의 변화를 요구한다. 바꾸려는 사람(책사)도, 바뀌려고 하는 사람(일반 국민)도 없는 지금의 일본에 무턱대고 "바꾸라"고 외치는 일만큼 무모한 일도 없기 때문이다. 오히려 서로의 반감만 양산할 뿐이다.



대일 외교의 핵심은 정상회담을 하느냐 안하느냐가 아니다. '주장'만 앞세운 기존 방식의 한계를 수용할 자세가 돼 있는지, '변하지 않는 일본'을 상수(常數)로 둔 '전략·전술·작전'을 체계적으로 짤 능력이 있는지다.
김현기 도쿄 총국장
Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now