[Cooking with Her Excellency, Ireland] Fishy Fishy's seafood chowder
3 liters (12 cups) water
100 milliliters (3 ounces) vegetable oil
500 grams (1 pound) raw prawns' head and shells
2 large carrots, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
100 grams (3.5 ounces) tomato puree
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons dried tarragon
100 grams (3.5 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
100 grams white flour sea salt
375 grams (13 ounces) salmon and firm white fish, mixed in a 1:1 ratio
200 milliliters (7 ounces) cream
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until almost smoking. Add prawn heads and shells, carrots and onions. Cook over high heat for eight to 10 minutes, crushing the prawn shells as they cook. Add the tomato puree and water. Simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Strain through a sieve, pushing as much of the prawns and vegetables through as you can for a rich broth. Add garlic, coriander and tarragon and return to the rinsed-out pan over a low heat.
3. In a small bowl, make a roux by mashing together the butter and flour. Add this little by little to the hot prawn broth, whisking to thicken.
4. Season broth with salt to taste, and then add the mixed fish and the cream, stirring gently so as not to break up the fish too much.
5. Simmer for four minutes, then serve. Add more cream and some white crab meat on top if desired.
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.
Standards Board Policy (0/250자)