Dureup sanjeok (beef-and-vegetable skewers)Ingredients
500 grams (18 ounces) rump steak, as 1 uncut,
80 grams (1/3 cup) dureup, or aralia elata shoots
1/2 medium-sized onion
3/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons starch syrup
1 tablespoon ground sesame salt
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 medium-sized green onion, minced
1/2 medium-sized pear
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Black pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Set aside.
2. Make fine cuts on meat so the marinade will better permeate. Soak in marinade for 30 minutes.
3. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add dureup to cook over high heat for 10 seconds. Then cool it down in a bowl of cold water for about 10 seconds.
4. Without cutting yet, grill the meat slightly over medium heat for 20 to 30 seconds on each side, making sure not to fully cook.
5. Cut meat into 3-inch strips. Cut dureup into pieces of the same length.
6. With a wooden skewer, thread alternating strips of meat and dureup. Move the pieces close together and allow some space at each end of the skewer in order to pick up.
7. Soak the skewers in the marinade for about 30 minutes.
8. Grill the skewers in a greased pan over low heat for 20 to 30 seconds each.