[Cooking with Her Excellency]Pouding chomeur (maple syrup cake)
. 1/4 cup sugar
. 1/2 cup brown sugar
. 6 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
. 3/4 cup milk
. 1½ cups plain flour
. 2 teaspoons baking powder
. 1 cup maple syrup
. 2/3 cup water
. 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
. Optional: vanilla ice cream
1. For batter, cream 3 tablespoons of butter in a bowl and then add sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Stir into butter mixture, adding in milk. Set aside.
3. For sauce, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan; stir in brown sugar and maple syrup.
4. Add water and vanilla. Bring to a boil.
5. Pour syrup into a baking dish. Drop batter in large spoonfuls onto the layer of syrup.
6. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
7. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.