Chicken biryani (chicken curry with rice)
750 grams (3 cups) chicken
2 large onions, diced
3-4 large tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1½ teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1½ teaspoon coriander powder
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, whole
1 teaspoon red chili powder
2-3 green chilies, without seeds
1 black cardamom, whole
4 green cardamoms, whole
4 cloves 1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup cooking oil
3 cups basmati rice, soaked in water for 15-20 minutes
1 star anise or cinnamon stick
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
1. Saute onions until golden brown. Add all spices and tomatoes and saute over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Stir in yogurt and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add chicken and fry over medium heat until meat starts to change color. Pour in 1/2 cup of water and cook over low heat and covered for 4-5 minutes until chicken is fully cooked.
1. In a large saucepan, boil 7-8 cups of water. Add lemon juice, oil, salt and star anise or cinnamon.
2. When water boils, add rice and cook over medium to high heat uncovered for 10 minutes. Rice should be cooked three-fourths of the way. Drain.
1. Brush a large cooking pot with oil and line with half of the boiled rice.
2. Spread curry on top and sprinkle on chopped coriander and mint leaves. Cover with remaining rice and cover tightly with lid.
3. Set heat to high for 2 minutes to create steam, and then reduce to low for 10-15 minutes.
4. Mix rice and curry well. Serve with chopped coriander leaves and green chilies on top.