[Cooking with Her Excellency]Bulgogi (marinated beef)
20 g (4 teaspoons) dangmyeon, or cellophane noodles
20 g (4 teaspoons) shitake mushroom
20 g (4 teaspoons) enokitake mushroom
10 g (2 teaspoons) carrot
50 g (3 tablespoons) onion
20 g (4 teaspoons) leeks
500 g (18 ounces) cabbage
600 grams (3 cups) beef (rump)
7 tablespoons pear juice
4 tablespoons onion juice
1 tablespoon garlic, diced
1 tablespoon ginger juice
6 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons mirim, a type of cooking wine
1 tablespoon maesilchung, or plum syrup
5 g (1 teaspoon) sea tangle
1 mid-sized onion
2 mid-sized leeks
100 g (1/2 cup) garlic
15 g (1 tablespoon) ginger
5 mid-sized danggui
2 teaspoons red ginger extract
300 g (1½ cup) dried anchovies
1. For broth, fill a pot with 2 liters of water and add sea tangle, onion, dried anchovies, leeks, ginger and garlic. Cook over high heat until water boils.
2. Add danggui and red ginger extract. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes and then let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
3. Strain the broth into a bowl. Set aside.
4. Rinse beef in cold water to draw out blood and then dry on a paper towel. Combine the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and add the beef. Let sit in the fridge for 2 hours.
5. Cut vegetables into strips.
6. Place the marinated beef and broth in a large pot and cook over medium heat until meat is half-done. Add vegetables and noodles and cook for 5 more minutes.