U.S. soldier’s remains finally returned homeBELLFLOWER, California - The remains of a formerly missing U.S. soldier have been returned to California nearly 65 years after he went missing in the 1950-53 Korean War, the Long Beach Press-Telegram reported.
The remains of Army Cpl. Robert V. Witt, a 20-year-old Bellflower man, were returned earlier this week to his sister Laverne Minnick, 82, the paper reported. Witt will be buried with full military honors Friday at Rose Hills Memorial Park in Whittier.
In late November 1950, Witt was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 31st Regimental Combat Team, 7th Infantry Division, the Department of Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency said in a statement. They were attacked by Chinese forces
At the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea. On Dec. 1, 1950, remnants of the 31st Regimental Combat Team tried moving to a position south of the reservoir, but the next day, Witt was reported missing in action, the statement said.
In 1953, during prisoner of war exchanges, repatriated U.S. soldiers told officials that Witt had been captured during the battle and likely died from malnutrition on Jan. 31, 1951. AP
More in Social Affairs
Appeals court sends Samsung's Lee Jae-yong to jail
Heavy snow expected across Korea on Monday morning
Level 2.5 remains in place, but rules relaxed for cafes, gyms
Medical license of Cho Kuk's daughter challenged
Covid cases continue to drop but public anxiety remains high