Hyundai Motor union restarts strike after talks failThe labor union of Hyundai Motor resumed its collective strike on Wednesday after negotiations on their wage and incentives system, held during a closed meeting, apparently failed during a group vacation last week.
With Hyundai Motor’s labor union restarting its partial walkout, the nation’s No.1 automaker is likely to face yet another risky manufacturing period in the second half of the year.
The strike will be held for three consecutive days until Aug. 12 in a two-shift system for eight hours a day.
Talks will continue during the strike and the labor union says it will maintain its stance on asking the company to raise their base pay 7.2 percent, or 152,050 won. Employees also seeking 30 percent of last year’s net profit as incentive pay.
However, Hyundai Motor is pushing for expansion of its salary peak system by reducing the wages of employees 60 or older by 10 percent. It is also asking the union to form an allied task force in case of emergencies.
“As this is the first negotiation talks between the labor union and Hyundai Motor after the official vacation period last week, it will act as a critical meeting in determining the ambience of future negotiations,” said a spokesperson for Hyundai Motor labor union.
If the resumed talks on Wednesday evening don’t find middle ground, the automaker’s labor union will join its affiliate Korean Metal Workers’ Union (KMMU) to walk out on both Hyundai Motor and its sister company Kia Motors on Aug. 12 and 19.
Korean Metal Workers’ Union on Tuesday announced a plan to sue Hyundai Motor Group Chairman Chung Mong-koo and 30 other executives for unfair labor practices.
BY JIN EUN-SOO [email@example.com]