Mattis to file a report on WMD strike

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Mattis to file a report on WMD strike

James Mattis, a retired U.S. Marine Corps general tapped to be defense secretary in the incoming Trump administration, said last week he would submit a report on how American forces in South Korea will prepare to attack North Korean facilities for weapons of mass destruction, according to political sources in Washington.

The written statement was in response to a Senate Armed Services Committee’s request for Mattis to submit the papers. Mattis was said to have replied last Thursday Washington time that he would follow through. The committee required that the report include how American military personnel dispatched to the South will cooperate with the U.S. government in achieving the goal. Shin Won-sik, former head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff operational headquarters, predicted the report will put “huge pressure” on Pyongyang and Beijing.

BY CHAE BYUNG-GUN AND JEONG YONG-SOO [lee.sungeun@joongang.co.kr]

More in Politics

Supreme Court says ousted president was guilty

Supreme Court confirms former president Park’s guilt, jail term

Another run

Whistleblower alleges hanky panky over travel ban

Pardons will depend on the people, says Moon's aide

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now