80 schools apply to use controversial textbooksMore than 80 middle and high schools have applied to use controversial state-authored history textbooks as supplementary materials in the new academic year, the education ministry said Monday.
The textbooks will be distributed to 33 middle schools, 49 high schools and one specialized school this month to be used as supplementary or reference material in and outside the classroom, according to the ministry.
The government also plans to send the texts to 28 state schools and 22 Korean schools overseas without receiving applications from them.
The decision is the latest development in an ongoing controversy over the books’ rightist interpretation of events in the nation’s modern history.
Last week, one high school in southeastern Korea was forced to cancel its entrance ceremony for freshmen amid a standoff with students and parents over its designation as the only institution to test the textbooks this year ahead of its formal introduction next year.
“We’ll work to raise the field suitability and completeness of the state-authored history textbooks through the experimental school and those schools that use it,” a ministry official said. “We will strive to make both the state-authorized and state-authored textbooks that will be introduced in 2018 balanced history textbooks.”
The Park Geun-hye administration pursued textbooks to correct what it saw as leftist bias, but liberals slammed the texts for glorifying the regime of Park’s father, Park Chung Hee, who ruled the country for 18 years.
More in Politics
Tensions rise between prosecution, Ministry of Justice ahead of court review
Opposition jumps on idea of Assembly probe of Choo
Blue House names new foreign policy secretary
Prosecutors protest suspension of Yoon by justice minister
DP wants parliamentary probe of prosecutor general