SKT to use AI, IoT to improve security systems

Home > Business > Industry

print dictionary print

SKT to use AI, IoT to improve security systems

SK Telecom finalized its acquisition of local security systems company ADT Caps on Monday and said it plans to establish new business models by using digital technologies to improve security systems.

The acquisition follows a deal inked in May to acquire Siren Holdings Korea, which has full ownership of ADT Caps, jointly with Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets at 1.28 trillion won ($1.15 billion).

SK Telecom invested 702 billion won to secure a 55 percent stake while Macquarie took the remaining 45 percent.

ADT Caps is the second-largest company in the local physical security market with about a 30 percent market share, or 570,000 subscribers, according to SK Telecom. Physical security refers to security measures designed to prevent unauthorized access to facilities, equipment and resources and to protect people and their property from damage.

SK Telecom CEO Park Jung-ho said the company will build new business models in the security market by applying the latest digital technologies like artificial intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT) and big data on existing security systems established by ADT Caps.

The carrier will start by applying AI on security systems. AI can predict where security is weak in an area and optimize patrol routes for security staff, according to the company.

According to SK Telecom, other applications for digital technology include using IoT sensors to differentiate between real fires and false alarms and using big data from video analyses to detect those who intend on breaking into a building from regular pedestrians.

The company also said it will strengthen its partnerships with Japanese information technology companies Hitachi and NEC to develop facilities management technology and a biometric authentication system, respectively.

“We are expecting the partnerships to level up the competitiveness of ADT Caps and help it enter global markets with high demand for security systems like the United States and Europe,” the company said in statement Monday.

Within this year, SK Telecom plans to acquire a 100 percent stake in NSOK, a smaller physical security company, from SK Telink and merge this firm with ADT Caps.

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)