YG speaks on Burning Sun incidentAfter days of silence, YG Entertainment’s head, Yang Hyun-suk, released a statement regarding the controversial incident that occurred at the Burning Sun club, southern Seoul, formerly owned by Big Bang’s Seungri.
“We wanted to provide an answer regarding the [incident at] Seungri’s club, but it is an awkward situation because the club is run privately by the singer and is unrelated to YG’s businesses,” the statement reads.
According to the agency, Seungri was at the club on Nov. 24, the night the alleged beating took place, but only until 3 a.m. The incident is said to have broken out at around 6 a.m.
The agency added that Seungri stepped down as the director of the club a few days ago because he will be entering the military for his mandatory service in March or April, “as required by the law.”
“Seungri is very sorry to the fans who have been worried through his incident. He tried to express his position through a letter of apology, but I insisted that he wait, because I thought that it would be better to come forward when the case has been cleared after thorough investigations,” said Yang.
There are currently rumors circulating that the club was selling drugs, which Yang also addressed.
“Seungri had been thoroughly tested in recent days by prosecutors, and there was no hint of [drugs] in his hair or his urine,” said Yang.
On Jan. 28, MBC reported that Kim Sang-gyo, 29, alleged he was beaten by the staff at Burning Sun on Nov. 24, and beaten again by the police when he was taken to a station in Yeoksam-dong, southern Seoul.
By Yoon So-yeon